Dementia and the demise of a great man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gala

Winger
My Dad is going nuts, he's repetitive, forgetful and told me today he'd charged his drill in the garage for 30 years and thought it incredible when I charged it in the kitchen today.

It's tragic for me to see this happen to a superstar and it's destroying my Mam, what can I do?

Be there for them both mate. Our lasses Nana had it for years while her grandad looked after her and once she died the grandad developed it almost immediately it was painful for me to watch and obviously even worse for our lass. Spend as much time as possible as you can with them and try to be strong for your mam.

Sorry to hear that. same's currently happening with my stepmam - v tough on my dad and awful to observe as it gets worse. As said, just offer as much support as you can to those that need.

my nana is going through this atm and while shes still cogniscent and remembers a lot she struggles with names (though its the family joke if i was going to be hit by a bus she'd go through the entire families names before she got to mine) and forgets faces, its heartbreaking to see someone who was so strong and independent consigned to a room in a care home struggling to recall her own sons names..shes better than that.
as said spend every minute you can with them.
Mind selfishly or not if i ever get to that stage i would want to die, i could handle losing everything but my memories, they've built me as a person and its the cruelest blow to take those

From personal experience I can relate to this and remember that your Dad can do nothing about this. Sometimes you will just have to humour him and agree with what he's saying, my dear old Mam could hold quite detailed conversations about the past but she had no real concept of 'here and now'.
Give your Mam a break whenever you can too, even a couple of hours will make a difference to her. Keep an eye on her though because she will no doubt want to care for her beloved husband forever but be prepared for the day when it may be the best for both of them for Dad to have special care.
Good luck mate

A) get him diagnosed as early as possible. The current meds may not be able to fix anything but they certainly seem able to slow down the decline.

B) contact the local branch of the Alzheimer's Society and get on their mailing list to find out what's going on. I found their social events, for victims and their carers, a great source of support and reassurance.

I don't know how old your dad is and whether his condition is sporadic or how he is all the time now but try and make sure your mam gets regular breaks and respite. I think it's very easy for partners to feel that the responsibility is all theirs and while it might be tough for you it will be much tougher for your mam when the person she has chosen to spend her life with doesn't know who she is. Things can get VERY nasty.

There was a piece on TV here the other night about a radical new treatment for early onset. I wil see if I can find it

This was it I think

http://www.strokebreakthrough.com/about-the-institute/the-60-minutes-australia-inr-story/
There was a film made years ago about a miracle tablet that cured it. It was stumbled on by accident, unfortunately it was pulled from the market for reasons I don't remember. It was heart breaking knowing there was a cure but wasn't made available.

There was a piece on TV here the other night about a radical new treatment for early onset. I wil see if I can find it

This was it I think

http://www.strokebreakthrough.com/about-the-institute/the-60-minutes-australia-inr-story/
There was a film made years ago about a miracle tablet that cured it. It was stumbled on by accident, unfortunately it was pulled from the market for reasons I don't remember. It was heart breaking knowing there was a cure but wasn't made available.

Last edited:

This was it I think

My Dad is going nuts, he's repetitive, forgetful and told me today he'd charged his drill in the garage for 30 years and thought it incredible when I charged it in the kitchen today.

It's tragic for me to see this happen to a superstar and it's destroying my Mam, what can I do?
Sorry to hear this mate, as mentioned try and get a proper diagnosis, to get your dad on the correct meds. Won't stop it but could slow the progression. The biggest thing is patience, I work in care so see this everyday. There is a lot of literature on the net to help you and your man. Seek advice too, there is a lot of people who can help out there

Sorry to hear that. same's currently happening with my stepmam - v tough on my dad and awful to observe as it gets worse. As said, just offer as much support as you can to those that need.
^^^This....death and taxes...support your loved ones and keep the medical community engaged. All the best to the OP.

My Grandma who I was raised by so more like a Mam is in the later stages of it now. She's got very little clue what's going on and it's heartbreaking seeing the person who I looked up to and helped make me who I am as just a shell of a person. She can communicate effectively and is just existing tbh. My advice aside from getting him on the right medication etc would be just to do some things with him while you can, whatever that is, doesn't even really have to be anything much but just so you can spend a bit time with him and talk to him about things in the past, longer term memory tends to last for a while.

The Legendary Tongue said:

It was made by the company I work for

Awful disease.

My dad suffered from it. Last time I saw him alive was back in '84, I'd already moved to Canada and came back to see him. Took him to Roker Park..he'd spent 65 years going there but by them he could not do it by himself and my mam couldn't manage.

Funny, but we sat together in the Clock Stand, where he'd first taken me back in '63 (it was all standing then)..he watched the game in silence then, near the end, turned to me and said, out of the blue, "Raich was the best. But I loved Shack." For a few minutes he was like himself. By the time we got home he was back in that place beyond us. He died about three months later. A blessing for my mother by then.

And some people ask why you would support Sunderland?

Awful disease.

My dad suffered from it. Last time I saw him alive was back in '84, I'd already moved to Canada and came back to see him. Took him to Roker Park..he'd spent 65 years going there but by them he could not do it by himself and my mam couldn't manage.

Funny, but we sat together in the Clock Stand, where he'd first taken me back in '63 (it was all standing then)..he watched the game in silence then, near the end, turned to me and said, out of the blue, "Raich was the best. But I loved Shack." For a few minutes he was like himself. By the time we got home he was back in that place beyond us. He died about three months later. A blessing for my mother by then.

And some people ask why you would support Sunderland?

My das the same ( but not suffering from dementia thank god ) he can hardly remember games from a fortnight agan yet get him on about Roker & you can't stop him talking

Barmy ain't it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back