Defunct North East Cricket Leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not talking about the Durham Senior League etc, but the smaller " grassroots " leagues that have gone by the wayside.

Can anyone remember the Coxhoe and District League containing Durham North End CC and I believe a second team from Fishburn CC and possibly Winterton Hospital CC, and at one time a team from Eppleton Colliery Welfare Cricket Club who's ground was now where the Hetton Centre building stands ?......or how about the ( I think it was ) the Sunderland and District League which was played midweek with teams such as Vedra CC and Albion CC.

I am not talking about Victorian times here.....hell I am not near pension age, but these leagues were going strong when I was a kid.

Eppleton CW played in the Coast League. Don’t know when the Sunderland and District League ended, but was still around in late 80s, using matting pitches.

Eppleton CW played in the Coast League. Don’t know when the Sunderland and District League ended, but was still around in late 80s, using matting pitches.
I remember going to eppleton cw with me da when they were in the coast league - must have been late 80's/early 90's iirc. was a canny little ground iirc.

Eppleton CW were in the Coast League in the late 70s.
Their ground was just over the beck from my back garden. A couple of years before I moved there, there was a Durham Coast League cricket team and a Northern League football team. Games I could have watched from the comfort of my back bedroom!

Eppleton CW also played in the Mid Durham Senior League and entered a team in the Coxhoe and District League at one time.
My former club Belmont played in the Mid Durham Senior League 1957-70. Some clubs had pros so must have been a fair standard. I think it went sometime in the 1980s. Hunwick, Willington, Ushaw Moor and Bearpark were also in it.

There was also the Tyne and Wear Midweek League which ended in 2007. I played in it for Chilton Moor in the 1990s, there might even have been 2 divisions at that point and for Belmont in its last year's. Brandon were members.

Last edited:
It's too easy marra.

Maybe but its still the truth. The best league by far in the NorthEast destroyed by petty ambitious administrators.
And look where we r . Local cricket languishing and the precious county in the second division for not being able to run their own finances properly.
Lets hope there's a market for used electric scoreboards.

Last edited:
Maybe but its still the truth. The best league by far in the NorthEast destroyed by petty ambitious administrators.
And look where we r . Local cricket languishing and the precious county in the second division for not being able to run their own finances properly.
:rolleyes:

And off we go

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back