December Voting thread - Contre Jour

Challenge Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robcal and Steeeeed for me, both meet the remit, demonstrate a significant amount of planning and are well composed.

Tom Tom Macute - meets the remit, but I think the composition could be better/more interesting. (same would apply to my shot tbf)

One - suffers from being taken using a phone from the window of a moving aeroplane

Peachbum - like the way she has continued her abstract theme but it doesn't immediately speak 'contrejour' to me.

Amnorrageordie - love the idea but feels a little overcooked.

Peachbum - like the way she has continued her abstract theme but it doesn't immediately speak 'contrejour' to me.

Thanks smoker, I thought people may think it wasn't contrejour. But, in my defence, it was taken in a dark room, the only source of light being behind the subject and the camera facing the light source. How much more contre-jour could it be?

:confused::)

I really do like the effort put into this comp, well done all

;)

tom tom macute
- Perhaps you've been caught in two minds with trying to get lots of themes into one shot.

Steeeeed - Brilliant contre jour shot - VOTE

robcal - Another superb shot, can't choose a winner between you and Steeeed - VOTE

smoker - S'ok, the object isn't very interesting though.

one - sorry fella, I can't see your shot

peachbum - Not contre jour imo, tried too hard, looks like a xmas card in negative.

Amnorrageordie
- Doesn't fit the theme for me.

;)

Not many entries this month, guess it was a "duplicate" theme and Christmas that put people off. I'll just say why I have/haven't voted, and as there is a new entrant, please as ever remember all comments are made in good faith.

TomTomMacute - pull you to pieces! :eek::)
I like that you have pulled several themes into one and done it at the SOL etc, very good. I like the frame! However the picture doesn't quite grab. The left hand side is spoiled with too much light? And I''m not sure what I am meant to be looking at really. I think possibly there was a picture there if you had walked to the right and got down low and worked with the cyclist (and the statue too) perhaps?

Steed - Photo of the month for me and looks like you possibly will win. :) It isn't my favourite picture of yours but I think you have missed out on votes you should have got in previous months, so hopefully you will win. ( I personally am not a fan of the sun shining through and "burning" out your silouhette (sp?), whether this is a fault of digital photography or not I'm not sure. ) VOTE

Robcal Going to call this as I see it, hope you don't mind. I think this was all too easy, you stood and waited for the sun to be in the right position and snapped and got your photo. Everything else about taking photos was forgotten, it looks like the sky was under exposed, if the sun was in that position I guess the sky was much brighter. If you shoot into the light the lens closes down and you get under exposed photos. You need to open up. Or, face away from the light, expose and fix the exposure, then turn round and take the photo. I think the rule of thirds can be ignored and the central positioning of main subject isn't too bad? I think I would have placed it off centre maybe? There is a bit too much dark and uninteresting foreground. The horizon slopes. The clouds are lovely. Sorry if I sound harsh! Cue robcal saying he underexposed the sky on purpose and wanted a centrally placed subject! :oops:

Smoker - I don't think this is contre-jour? I'll listen to anyone who says it is though. I'm a fan of your star photography Smoker but I'm not a fan of fish eye lens/photography, so no vote from me. Would it have been better if you had made more of the sky and less of the (lit) house windows?

One - Like it. This is one photo that a tad of post production could be good (just to remove the little bit of window frame at bottom right) - ? I won't say anything about the curved horizon. VOTE

Mine - I really wanted to do an outdoor photograph as I did an indoor one for contre-jour 1. Went to the coast hoping to get some kind of silouhette/sunset with some good scenery or shapes but grey clouds and rain put paid to that. Only had a few days that were free to go out and about and it has just been a constant grey this month. So as I wanted to enter I did an indoor one again.

Amnorrageordie - timed exposure/night photography or contre-jour? The photo is a bit too busy, and not very well composed for me.

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ALL!

Not many entries this month, guess it was a "duplicate" theme and Christmas that put people off. I'll just say why I have/haven't voted, and as there is a new entrant, please as ever remember all comments are made in good faith.

TomTomMacute - pull you to pieces! :eek::)
I like that you have pulled several themes into one and done it at the SOL etc, very good. I like the frame! However the picture doesn't quite grab. The left hand side is spoiled with too much light? And I''m not sure what I am meant to be looking at really. I think possibly there was a picture there if you had walked to the right and got down low and worked with the cyclist (and the statue too) perhaps?

Steed - Photo of the month for me and looks like you possibly will win. :) It isn't my favourite picture of yours but I think you have missed out on votes you should have got in previous months, so hopefully you will win. ( I personally am not a fan of the sun shining through and "burning" out your silouhette (sp?), whether this is a fault of digital photography or not I'm not sure. ) VOTE

Robcal Going to call this as I see it, hope you don't mind. I think this was all too easy, you stood and waited for the sun to be in the right position and snapped and got your photo. Everything else about taking photos was forgotten, it looks like the sky was under exposed, if the sun was in that position I guess the sky was much brighter. If you shoot into the light the lens closes down and you get under exposed photos. You need to open up. Or, face away from the light, expose and fix the exposure, then turn round and take the photo. I think the rule of thirds can be ignored and the central positioning of main subject isn't too bad? I think I would have placed it off centre maybe? There is a bit too much dark and uninteresting foreground. The horizon slopes. The clouds are lovely. Sorry if I sound harsh! Cue robcal saying he underexposed the sky on purpose and wanted a centrally placed subject! :oops:

Smoker - I don't think this is contre-jour? I'll listen to anyone who says it is though. I'm a fan of your star photography Smoker but I'm not a fan of fish eye lens/photography, so no vote from me. Would it have been better if you had made more of the sky and less of the (lit) house windows?

One - Like it. This is one photo that a tad of post production could be good (just to remove the little bit of window frame at bottom right) - ? I won't say anything about the curved horizon. VOTE

Mine - I really wanted to do an outdoor photograph as I did an indoor one for contre-jour 1. Went to the coast hoping to get some kind of silouhette/sunset with some good scenery or shapes but grey clouds and rain put paid to that. Only had a few days that were free to go out and about and it has just been a constant grey this month. So as I wanted to enter I did an indoor one again.

Amnorrageordie - timed exposure/night photography or contre-jour? The photo is a bit too busy, and not very well composed for me.

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ALL!

It's backlit by the full moon, hence the title. I accept it's harder to get the same effect with the moon as the sun like.

Excellent work all round. I've voted for Steeeed...must've been pretty difficult to get the starbust in exactly the right spot. It shows a good combination of composition, planning, and technical knowledge. I had a shot that I was going to put in but I saw yours and thought "that's basically what I was trying to do but 10 times better"!

Steeeeed for me this month, really good shot.

Disappointed in mine really, but as it was taken the day I went for tickets for the Man City game would I swap the result for a few more votes?
Maybe not.

Steeeeeeeed and Smoker for me.

I thought that Steed's shot was excellent, really liked the way it was composed with the silhouette. My one comment on this would be that I think I would have preferred it if the lad on the bike was a little darker; you can make out detail on his t-shirt, which I think slightly detracts from the shot overall. It's not a criticism though, just something that struck me when I saw one of your other shots.

I also particularly liked Smoker's mainly because it was a bit of a different take on the subject. Unfortunately I clicked 'vote' before actually selecting you though. Sorry.

Fair enough! Took an absolute loads of shots from various angles while the sun rose. Most of them had the castle in a corner and were more exposed. However, I really liked the colour of this one, and the main reason I chose it was because I liked the vague outline of the shadow on the ground in front of the camera. It probably was a little too dark and I did (unsuccessfully) try to lighten it a little before giving up on it!

Out of interest, here's a selection of the other shots I took. Not great, but tbh I've just got the camera and wanted an excuse to play around a little!

Finally, the horizon may slope slightly, but it could well be the slope of the hill. The water in the background looks pretty level, although it's not very clear due to the underexposure.

Fair enough! Took an absolute loads of shots from various angles while the sun rose. Most of them had the castle in a corner and were more exposed. However, I really liked the colour of this one, and the main reason I chose it was because I liked the vague outline of the shadow on the ground in front of the camera. It probably was a little too dark and I did (unsuccessfully) try to lighten it a little before giving up on it!

Out of interest, here's a selection of the other shots I took. Not great, but tbh I've just got the camera and wanted an excuse to play around a little!
I like IMG1946 and IMG 1951 best of the selection ( and you'd have probably got a vote off me for either of those). Thanks for taking my comments as meant. :)

Steeeeed and Robcal for me. Dead heat. As for my entry this month dopey here got it in his head that Sunday was the deadline :lol:
Logon or register to see this image
This is one I took Saturday iirc on my phone. What a daft twat I am:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many many thanks for all the votes and comments this month, all very much appreciated. The hardest thing about the shot was sitting in the car persuading myself that it's not noncy to go and take some pics of the young lads! I did ask their permission though and after half a bottle of white lightening they were fine :lol:

This month;
Tom tom macute - caught in about 7 minds, trying to get all sorts in. I suspect you weren't taking it too seriously this month :) There's definitely a shot with Bob there though.

Robcal - lots of planning and preparation and it paid off. Love the suns rays coming through. Lovely sky and there's the smallest detail on the right horizon of a chimney and smoke that gives the contrast of industry and countryside. VOTE

Smoker - Very creative and I do like fish eye shots looking upwards. However I suspect it's more side lit from the house and I don't find the subject very interesting.

One - A better crop to level the horizon and cut out whatever that is in the bottom right corner (a plane presumably!) and I think this would be a much better shot and would have got more votes. Very opportunistic shot.

Peachbum - I really like this and I would have thought it would get a few more votes. Abstract, nice placement of the snowmen, a nice twist on the theme and left me thinking "how"??? VOTE

Amnorrageordie - There's a hell of a lot of lighting going on there and too much for anything to be classed as back lit so I don't think it meets the theme this month. Sorry!

Yesssssssss! :-D Really chuffed with that, thanks again for the votes, comments and suggestions for improvement.

I'm off to take some sub-standard macro shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back