Death by twisted ankle

gards2

Striker
In relation to the dead leg thread, "I wanna tell you a story"

A 33yr old man morbidly obese twisted is ankle one day or "went over on it" he rested up for a few days and he ignored it, despite the bruising, didn't go to a doctor. About three months later he still had an issue and could only walk slowly and avoided putting weight on the ankle. Despite appeals to visit a GP he ignored them "it's nothing, it will go away eventually"

One evening during the winter he went for a drink with some friends, he was a heavy drinker, daily and weighed maybe 25 stone or more. At 2 am the friends waved goodbye and on his way home he collapsed, managed to get himself up on his feet again and walked a bit further. He collapsed again, this time he couldn't get up and sat on the ground leaning on a lamp post.
He was found by cleaners within an hour or so unresponsive, a very very sad ending to a wonderful bubbly mans life, cut short by some men's fear or dislike of GPs and Hospitals.

A blood clot had traveled from his lower leg to his lung, probably shaken loose by his heavy foot banging against the ground.

RIP Sam

R.I.P Sam, sad story and so avoidable. I think men a pre programmed to feel they’ll be alright if they give it time, i fight the urge to ignore stuff with everything i have and get my @rse to the doc’s but the urge is never too far beneath the surface.
An example was recently i had a small itchy lump appear on my back near the shoulder blade, after 3 weeks of waiting for it to go away i finally fought the urge to give it a little longer to heal and went to see the doctor, the result was that it was nothing to worry about, however there was something else on my back of concern that the doctor spotted. Four weeks later i have 7 stitches after having it removed and am waiting 4 to 6 weeks to get the test results back. Had i not gone in to get the original lump looked at the one of real concern would have been missed as it wasn’t itchy, bleeding or large. Now i’m hoping to get the all clear (crapping myself tbh) but i’m glad i went when i did.
The amount of times i’ve forced myself to go to the doctors when my impulse was to run the other way have been many since i hit my mid 50’s, i can honestly say that in every case the worry before was far worse than the actual diagnosis which until the above has always been nothing to worry about.
Fight the urge lads, the force is strong to run but get yourself checked, could be the difference between life or death as the op’s story has proved.

Last edited:
You could say some of those type of people die of stupidity or obstinacy.

My neighbour had a perfectly visible problem which they ignored despite requests to get it looked at. Was cancer and he died a few years back. Sad because he was such a nice bloke, but a bit ob/com and stubborn. That's too high a price to pay.

I get tests and screening tests or whatever is being offered.

Back