DCCC Appeal for £6m

Status
Not open for further replies.

there now seems to be a clear contradiction here between what the N Echo are saying and what cric info are now saying.

It appears to me as though although they dont have much money they may well have been rapped over the knuckles by the ECB who have seen that there is no progress with their ground redevelopment work. Maybe it has been laid on the line to them that if they dont get this sorted out for The Ashes then there will be no more international cricket for them.

Hence the club have now appealed for £6m so that they can do whats required and keep test status. It also looks as though some of the money is to be used to get one or two players in.

Personally the only salvation for Durham is international matches as they simply do not make enough through competitive cricket to sustain them at the level they would like.

there now seems to be a clear contradiction here between what the N Echo are saying and what cric info are now saying.

It appears to me as though although they dont have much money they may well have been rapped over the knuckles by the ECB who have seen that there is no progress with their ground redevelopment work. Maybe it has been laid on the line to them that if they dont get this sorted out for The Ashes then there will be no more international cricket for them.

Hence the club have now appealed for £6m so that they can do whats required and keep test status. It also looks as though some of the money is to be used to get one or two players in.

Personally the only salvation for Durham is international matches as they simply do not make enough through competitive cricket to sustain them at the level they would like.

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying

" Believe nothing that you read or hear, and only half of what you see"

Very apt when it comes to newspapers, sometimes the truth is just too boring to print.

I would have thought that if the money was for the development of the ground we should plough it all into the ground, not spend some on an overseas player.

I would have thought that if the money was for the development of the ground we should plough it all into the ground, not spend some on an overseas player.

Perhaps the available money for a new player has something to do with Blackwell's wages now being off the payroll?

Last edited:
I find it disgusting if the council do give Durham this money particularly as we are owned by foreign investors. I'd rather see it go into administration and then go back into the hands of someone who can run the place properly.

Alternatively people could turn up and support the cricket team, this putting money into the club.

If Durham County Council are involved the money must be for investment in the Ground and Facilities to maintain Test Match status. The influx of people, TV, general business etc from these matches brings much needed income into the area from which the County Council and local businesses need. If this loan generates this business on an annual basis then it should be a shroud move. However the problem is clearly the timing. When County Council services are being cut and jobs lost it looks to be an absolutely stupid proposition for the County Council to be involved in.
However the one thing this area and indeed the country needs is growth. By investing this money in the development of the ground it will bring jobs to the area, investment in new machinery (which could help local companies such as Komatsu & Caterpillar) & hopefully play a part in stimulating the local economy (surely we need this). More County Councils need to do more throughout the country to drive things like this forward.
Is hammering our local County Council for having the foresight to try and drive investment in our local community the correct thing to do?
My view is we have wanted and even demanded International Cricket in our locality since the Riverside was built. Lets not give that away by not investing in our ground and facilities.
LOOK TO THE LONG TERM FUTURE AND CONTINUAL DEVELOPMENT.

If Durham County Council are involved the money must be for investment in the Ground and Facilities to maintain Test Match status. The influx of people, TV, general business etc from these matches brings much needed income into the area from which the County Council and local businesses need. If this loan generates this business on an annual basis then it should be a shroud move. However the problem is clearly the timing. When County Council services are being cut and jobs lost it looks to be an absolutely stupid proposition for the County Council to be involved in.
However the one thing this area and indeed the country needs is growth. By investing this money in the development of the ground it will bring jobs to the area, investment in new machinery (which could help local companies such as Komatsu & Caterpillar) & hopefully play a part in stimulating the local economy (surely we need this). More County Councils need to do more throughout the country to drive things like this forward.
Is hammering our local County Council for having the foresight to try and drive investment in our local community the correct thing to do?
My view is we have wanted and even demanded International Cricket in our locality since the Riverside was built. Lets not give that away by not investing in our ground and facilities.
LOOK TO THE LONG TERM FUTURE AND CONTINUAL DEVELOPMENT.
Very good post.

One thing that must be absolutely clear. NOT ONE PENNY of this money should be spent on developing the team on the pitch. It MUST be used on Ground & Facilities improvements.

Agree with what you have said. Very good points made.

Alternatively people could turn up and support the cricket team, this putting money into the club.
Agree with this. some of the crowds are very poor although the ECb doesnt help themselves with the timing of CC games. i mean by the time people have finished work, so has the cricket. there should be a night session, every day of every Cc match, with say £5 admission for that session.

Perhaps the available money for a new player has something to do with Blackwell's wages now being off the payroll?

Think that will all depend on how much it has actually cost Durham to pay off Blacky or if they have good enough insurance cover to claim on that. Iam pretty sure Blacky will get most of his remaining 6/7 months contract paid up in full.

Think that will all depend on how much it has actually cost Durham to pay off Blacky or if they have good enough insurance cover to claim on that. Iam pretty sure Blacky will get most of his remaining 6/7 months contract paid up in full.
He will, but the stumbling block from previous quotes from Cook in the press was settling the insurance.

It's not costing Durham anything, he's retired due to injury and is covered by the PCA insurance.

On the subject of Blackwells retirement, I'd like to see the club put on some sort of event so that the supporters can say goodbye in a more positive way than just messages via the internet.

I can't see it happening though, not with it being Harmisons Benefit year, but I personally think an event for Blackwell would be well received by all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back