David Steele Talksport Interview

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
Was listening to the Hawksbee & Jacobs podcast today and had picked the one where they interviewed David Steele.

Definitely worth a listen if you like people who are massive awkward bastards with interviewers (the last two minutes of his interview are class) :lol:

I remember him fondly. When Lillie and Thompson were at their peak, Steele was the only one who rose to the challenge consistently in the '75 Ashes Looked like a cross between Mr. Bean and John Major but had balls the same as his surname.

Just before my time, but his England selection was an amazing story. Tony Greig was worried about Thomson and Lillee running through our batting without Boycott so he asked the CC umpires who was the hardest batsman to get out and they all said Steele. Top scored for England two summers running then dropped for the tour of India 'because he was a poor player of spin' and never played for England again.

Judging by the interview I suspect the book is like paint drying like.

Remember him being speaker at a league dinner at the ramside. He was so bad majority of players left the room and moved to the bar outside!!
Can’t underestimate his effort against Thomson and lillee in their prime mind

Just before my time, but his England selection was an amazing story. Tony Greig was worried about Thomson and Lillee running through our batting without Boycott so he asked the CC umpires who was the hardest batsman to get out and they all said Steele. Top scored for England two summers running then dropped for the tour of India 'because he was a poor player of spin' and never played for England again.

Judging by the interview I suspect the book is like paint drying like.

Love selections like that

And it has its merit in the short term

I reckon if that was his era trescothick would have played a ashes home series in his late 30s

I remember him fondly. When Lillie and Thompson were at their peak, Steele was the only one who rose to the challenge consistently in the '75 Ashes Looked like a cross between Mr. Bean and John Major but had balls the same as his surname.

Nee helmet for him either, just a pair of geggs and a cloth cap. Won BBC SPOTY too iirc. He looked about 60 back in 1975.

Back