David Capel RIP

I didn't realise he was ill, although I had noticed the scar on his head during the recent Pictures From Paradise feature which now makes sense. Having said that, he still looked in pretty good health.

A feature of my youth as my Dad used to have the WI/Eng 89/90 series highlights on VHS and Capel was a regular in the team. IIRC, he was on the receiving end of one of my favourite shots of all-time when Richie Richardson struck him one handed down the ground for a straight six in one of the ODI's. I was obsessed with watching that video as a kid.

RIP.

Yeah, what Northants would give to have someone of his ability now, add the likes of Larkins, Cook, Bailey, Mallender. Makes you realise how some of the smaller counties have now fallen away.

Good point. Suppose it was always going to happen when 2 divisional cricket was introduced and the wealthier counties were able to flex their spending muscles, but it is a shame to look at where counties such as Northants, Gloucestershire and Leicestershire are as opposed to 20-25 years ago.

Good point. Suppose it was always going to happen when 2 divisional cricket was introduced and the wealthier counties were able to flex their spending muscles, but it is a shame to look at where counties such as Northants, Gloucestershire and Leicestershire are as opposed to 20-25 years ago.

True, just thinking of some of the names from those counties, Gower, Agnew, Defreitas for Leics, Gloucs had the likes of Walsh, Russell, Lawrence, Curran, Bainbridge. Forgot about Allan Lamb at Northants too!

County Championship was so strong back in those days, the pros and cons of the overseas players are well documented, must have made for some great viewing though, especially with the South Africans and the phenomenal West Indians that couldn’t make the national teams.
First Northants player selected to play test match cricket for 77 years!
Allan Lamb?

Last edited:
What about The Burnopfield Basher and Geoff Cook and Wayne Larkins?
Aye got that stat off the BBC cricket txt but Colin Millburn definitely played before him and within 77 years. Not sure of the order if appearances for England of his contemporaries like Larkin's Lamb Cook Malkender and Willey.
Unless they mean Northamptonshire born as well as played for.

Last edited:
I didn't realise he was ill, although I had noticed the scar on his head during the recent Pictures From Paradise feature which now makes sense. Having said that, he still looked in pretty good health.

A feature of my youth as my Dad used to have the WI/Eng 89/90 series highlights on VHS and Capel was a regular in the team. IIRC, he was on the receiving end of one of my favourite shots of all-time when Richie Richardson struck him one handed down the ground for a straight six in one of the ODI's. I was obsessed with watching that video as a kid.

RIP.
Yes mate- just come to mind as I saw it in the Cricketer a few months ago

Sky were airing a documentary about the first test series they covered live, England's 1990 tour of the West Indies. When Capel was talking to camera, he looked really unwell, and I thought it was brave of him at the time to do that because it was obvious he had weeks rather than months to go.

Good solid pro, who suffered with others by comparison to Botham when he knew himself he was never at that level. For a few glorious overs at Sabina Park, he made the West Indies top order look like Sunday club cricketers.

True, just thinking of some of the names from those counties, Gower, Agnew, Defreitas for Leics, Gloucs had the likes of Walsh, Russell, Lawrence, Curran, Bainbridge. Forgot about Allan Lamb at Northants too!

County Championship was so strong back in those days, the pros and cons of the overseas players are well documented, must have made for some great viewing though, especially with the South Africans and the phenomenal West Indians that couldn’t make the national teams.

Allan Lamb?

Péter Willey 70's ?

Sa news on Capel

Back