Darren Drysdale (the ref)

Our ref and officials today absolutely woeful.
However had no bearing on our performance or the result mind you.
If he'd sent Stockley off for the headbutt and / or given us the penalty and / or sent the bloke off who fouled Gooch when he was through on goal, I'm pretty sure that would have had a bearing on the result.

We weren't good, today, but, how much of that was down to them being given carte blanche to behave like c*nts? We have a team with younger players and football players, our game plan relies on being better at football. When the ref allows the game to be an after closing time carpark scuffle, we're going to struggle.

Fair play to Charlton, they were organised and their game plan worked.
Normally we have whistle happy refs that blow for minimal contact on challenges but unfortunately today’s ref let them get away with all forms of shithousery. Apart from the time wasting our players were cleverly nudged off balance just as they were jumping and players were tripped/obstructed/held off the ball to prevent them getting forward. It was a joke in the second half when our player was shouldered off balance as he chased a ball in their box, the ref indicating a shoulder to shoulder challenge but the ball was three yards away so clear obstruction.
Looked a handball from the blocked shot and penalty to us as I was watching but will judge when I see the replay.
A lesson for all our players today particularly the younger ones, it took us a long time to adapt and threaten.
Add in poor performances from McGeady and a couple of others and a unwillingness to shoot inside the box then we ended up with what we got.
Chin up, learn and move on.

Many years ago, I played in a game where the ref failed to show up, so their coach said he'd ref it. The oppo need to win the game 11-0 to win the league. The ref sent two of our players off and gave them four penalties (including one for handball by our 'keeper) - we lost 11-0. The League overturned the result and awarded us a 3-0 win. Today's ref reminded me of that game. Second worst refereeing performance I can remember, today as he'd have to have gone some to beat the worst.

He was woeful the ref, we were poor today but that ref was against us from the off. There were too many bad decisions from him that goes beyond being a crap ref. People talk about the standard of the officials in this league, why is it that we always seem to get the worst of them... Who knows

Absolutely shite, aye we were shite but this wanker should be removed from his job absolutely hopeless, must be brilliant being shit in your profession and getting away with it.
We were shite mind, but he was woeful.
Look determined to give us nothing from the off due to 31k+ attending, and so it proved.

If he'd sent Stockley off for the headbutt and / or given us the penalty and / or sent the bloke off who fouled Gooch when he was through on goal, I'm pretty sure that would have had a bearing on the result.

We weren't good, today, but, how much of that was down to them being given carte blanche to behave like c*nts? We have a team with younger players and football players, our game plan relies on being better at football. When the ref allows the game to be an after closing time carpark scuffle, we're going to struggle.

Might have been a foul on Gooch, probably wasn’t a yellow, definitely wasn’t a red.

The one where he indicated the Charlton player got the ball even though our player was completely taken out off the ball was my favourite

I hope we put in a complaint to the FA and ask them about his allegiances and look into his connections to the north east, especially Tyneside.
Might have been a foul on Gooch, probably wasn’t a yellow, definitely wasn’t a red.
Might have been?!

O'nien handled it on the line trying to keep it out. Ref overruled him and gave the goal. Much as they were awful it was probably the one thing they got right. It wasn't a foul, he was just stronger than the centre back. I didn't see the incident but Johnson is saying that Stockley (who scored) should have been sent off in the first half for a headbutt.

It was over the line, he still seemed obsessed with having a word, black and white ****
O'nien handled it on the line trying to keep it out.
It was behind the line, it was a goal, no need to have the conversation.

Last edited:
O'nien handled it on the line trying to keep it out. Ref overruled him and gave the goal. Much as they were awful it was probably the one thing they got right. It wasn't a foul, he was just stronger than the centre back. I didn't see the incident but Johnson is saying that Stockley (who scored) should have been sent off in the first half for a headbutt.

Overuled what? The linesman signalled for a free kick to Sunderland. Nowt to do with the ball crossing the line.

Back