Dan Neil injured

I love Dan Neil, one of our best and most reliable players. However I wouldn't say he's playing in the wrong league. Still learning and developing as a player : he should stay with us for now.

Im also not convinced Clarke moving is a given… I think he will struggle in the premier league and has to be the main man, I think clubs will be reluctant to part with 20 million tbh.
Jack Clarke certainly gives the impression he loves it here and isn't angling for a move. Unfortunately it seems his agent is hell bent on moving him on and earning a nice fat pay cheque

FFS huge blow that! Hopefully see Rigg move inside into central mid.
There's no way Rogg.can play there at the moment, he doesn't even pay that deep anyway would be absolute madness.
Have a look to see who’s mid table in the prem at the minute and let me know who the above three are displacing in them teams

That doesn't mean that mid to lower teams won't be looking and see potential in them or players like them at this level or wouldn't take a gamble on signing them.

They don't have to move up and instantly displace anyone- they're all young enough to get moves and be slowly integrated like many players who move from this level are.

Last edited:
Im also not convinced Clarke moving is a given… I think he will struggle in the premier league and has to be the main man, I think clubs will be reluctant to part with 20 million tbh.
If some PL team came in with £20m for him I think he’ll go. He’d be set up for life. Having said that, I really think he loves it at Sunderland and feels the warmth.The problem is he’s likely to be one of our top earners and we’ll not attempt to give him nearer what
he wants. Due to our wage structure.

Why do people keep saying every fcker is gonna leave? 🤣
The bandwidth wasted on Clarkey “we’ll never see him in the short again” - two weeks later there he is.
Next season will probably be a brilliant one for SAFC. Nobody will want to leave
Ridiculous isn't it. It's like people think we're running an academy as opposed to using "the model" to develop and finance a competitive team. Some are vastly overestimating the PL market for any of our players. And why would others want to make lateral or downward moves if there's a chance to play every week and contribute to moving up. Far too many defeatists in this forum!

May be in the minority but wouldn’t be that fussed if he left provided we get a good fee. Good player on his day but gets away with a lot with the fans for being a local lad. Realistically we need to sell a few to find the improvements we need.

Oddly enough I think he gets too much stick because he's a local lad.

Guess that's the beauty of everyone having their own opinions which is what a forum's all about. Cheers

May be in the minority but wouldn’t be that fussed if he left provided we get a good fee. Good player on his day but gets away with a lot with the fans for being a local lad. Realistically we need to sell a few to find the improvements we need.
The classic “don’t know what you had till it’s gone”

I reckon he’d be a huge miss and tough to replace personally. Fully expect bids for him this summer.

Why do people keep saying every fcker is gonna leave? 🤣
The bandwidth wasted on Clarkey “we’ll never see him in the short again” - two weeks later there he is.
Next season will probably be a brilliant one for SAFC. Nobody will want to leave
😂 It is funny how every player seems to be leaving without any actual evidence of it happening. It's like a weird defense mechanism. This season was all over the place. Next season will be completely different, imo.

Lacking consistency for the PL at the moment. Doesn't carry the ball forward enough for me and is definitely shot shy.
That said, he is a very good Championship player. I hope he stays and develops these aspects of his game next season. A joy to watch at times.
He's having to a do particular role this season, because we haven't got a dedicated DCM, and he's the best we've got in terms of defensive awareness.
He's ended up having to sit more than he'd like.

He was one of the last players that the model hadn't run into the ground and now it has.

He's had to play week in week out for 90 mins because the owners are cheap and incompetent, leaving little to no cover in most positions.

Neil is a bit older and has played more games than most of the other inexperienced youngsters that the model has injured, so he's survived most of the season.

They don't look after the young players we are signing. They are suddenly playing every week for a full match when they've not played at this level or have barely played at any level, their bodies can't handle it. In a well-balanced squad they'd be bled in slowly.

Let's see if Patterson can see the season out, he's the last man standing.

*I have a GCSE grade A to C in PE (sports science)

Back