Cyprus recommendations

Flying out on Saturday 30th (I know, look at me, pathetic) for 11 nights. Staying at a mate's house in Frenaros but we have a hire car.

Any recommendations on things to visit, food to eat, drinks to drink, etc.? They moved out there in September so it's relatively new to them but I'd imagine there'll be a few days where we want to spend a bit of time exploring on our own.

Frenaros is a canny little village.
My old Cypriot pal used to live in the next village along (Liopetri).
But the only problem might be is getting a place that is open for food & drink for you.
I would ask the locals - and suck it up and see.
You've got a car - so go up to Derinya (not far away) and you can look out over the "Green Line" and into the ghost city of Famagusta.
The Capital -Nicosia - has a lot of great eating places. Just follow your noses, and try out the local grub and drink.

Frenaros is a canny little village.
My old Cypriot pal used to live in the next village along (Liopetri).
But the only problem might be is getting a place that is open for food & drink for you.
I would ask the locals - and suck it up and see.
You've got a car - so go up to Derinya (not far away) and you can look out over the "Green Line" and into the ghost city of Famagusta.
The Capital -Nicosia - has a lot of great eating places. Just follow your noses, and try out the local grub and drink.
Cheers mate

Don't go to Cyprus. Hope this helps marra

Oh and keep your eye on your food being prepared for flies (don't eat out in the sun)

Last edited:
Kala Christougenna (It's all Greek to me!)

Not greatly familiar with the village of Frenaros in particular but, having spoken to my father, you are apparently only a five minute drive to Dherinya, ten minutes from Paralimni, twenty minutes away from Protaras and Aiya Napa, an hour or so to Nicosia and around forty five minutes to the airport.

The Famagusta District is renowned for it's natural beauty, history and is blessed with some of the best beaches on the island. There are some traditional churches, stunning bays and coves to explore and Cape Greco National Park is worth a visit. Some good recommendations also from @Butcher's Coat.

Enjoy Cyprus, stay safe and have a fantastic time. The people are friendly, hospitable and welcoming and the food is amazing.

Kala Christougenna (It's all Greek to me!)

Not greatly familiar with the village of Frenaros in particular but, having spoken to my father, you are apparently only a five minute drive to Dherinya, ten minutes from Paralimni, twenty minutes away from Protaras and Aiya Napa, an hour or so to Nicosia and around forty five minutes to the airport.

The Famagusta District is renowned for it's natural beauty, history and is blessed with some of the best beaches on the island. There are some traditional churches, stunning bays and coves to explore and Cape Greco National Park is worth a visit. Some good recommendations also from @Butcher's Coat.

Enjoy Cyprus, stay safe and have a fantastic time. The people are friendly, hospitable and welcoming and the food is amazing.
Cheers mate. Καλά Χριστούγεννα

Cheers. We have plenty of time to travel about the island and will be flying in/out of Paphos.
Have a trip up the Troodos if you get a chance. The scenery is stunning but the top is rather a dump (think Fort William). Omodos a few miles from the top is a lovely place for lunch and a drink.

We tend to stay in Latchi now and have two trips booked for 2024.

Have a trip up the Troodos if you get a chance. The scenery is stunning but the top is rather a dump (think Fort William). Omodos a few miles from the top is a lovely place for lunch and a drink.

We tend to stay in Latchi now and have two trips booked for 2024.
We are doing this on New Year's Eve and Day (staying over). Cheers! Glad to hear it's beautiful scenery. I know what you mean about Fort William, though...

Do visit fig tree bay even at this time of year ( Protaras) Nissi beach is the best beach I’ve ever been to ( Ayia Napa)
Trips out, Nicosia, Kyrenia which is in the north. Lovely harbour maybe worth staying overnight, visit Bellapais abbey which is close by with fab views of the sea and five finger mountain.
Secluded beaches along the pan handle.
Troodos mountains villages of Platres and Omodos you might get snow up there 👍
Limassol does have 40k Russians living there but has a great marina an d sea front with a load of investment recently.
Have fun 👍
Daughter lived in Cyprus for several years. When she lived in Limassol they would go skiing on the Troodos then drive back to Limassol i n an hour and sun bathe.

Last edited:
Do visit fig tree bay even at this time of year ( Protaras) Nissi beach is the best beach I’ve ever been to ( Ayia Napa)
Trips out, Nicosia, Kyrenia which is in the north. Lovely harbour maybe worth staying overnight, visit Bellapais abbey which is close by with fab views of the sea and five finger mountain.
Secluded beaches along the pan handle.
Troodos mountains villages of Platres and Omodos you might get snow up there 👍
Limassol does have 40k Russians living there but has a great marina an d sea front with a load of investment recently.
Have fun 👍

Hope you had a great day with the family Mate.

We used to stay in a Villa in the North (Turkish) side.
Bellapais Abbey very close by and stunning as is St Hilarion Castle (long mountain walk).

Not a patch on the headland though Mate ;)

Back