Curved teles

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't understand why people claim its a better viewing angle?

Half of the screen will be at a shallowed angle, but the other half will be equally worse. I'd rather see the screen equally across its range, than having 2 different views.

I can't understand why people claim its a better viewing angle?

Half of the screen will be at a shallowed angle, but the other half will be equally worse. I'd rather see the screen equally across its range, than having 2 different views.

Justifying their purchase mate.

They are shocking viewing angles if you aren't sat in the "prime" seat. Even then you can get hocking reflections from windows, lights etc etc..

Reactions: PTR
summarised pros and cons from this article http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...e-and-6-more-why-you-shouldnt/2/#5d53a7c76efa

1. You feel more immersed in what you’re watching
2. You feel like you’re experiencing a wider field of view
3. You see more sharpness at the edges of the image
4. You feel like pictures have more depth
5. You can enjoy a richer contrast performance
6. You can watch pictures from a wider viewing angle

1. You see geometry issues when watching from the sides
2. You need to sit in the right place to appreciate curved TVs’ advantages
3. You can feel more aware of onscreen reflections with curved TVs
4. You’ll need to spend more to buy a curved screen
5. You may feel curved screens look awkward when wall mounted
6. You need to think bigger than you might be comfortable with

I know some points are contradictory read the full article

imo unlike with a woman you're better off with a flat one

Iv got one 55" and havnt noticed any difference. Gimmick imo but does look class on the wall.

I'm not bothered about curved tellies but I quite fancy one of these bad boys:

Logon or register to see this image

This is the monitor you want, best bang for buck going for £600
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M340CLZ-3...FREE-Sync-Gaming-Curved-Monitor-/332008193041
  • 3440x1440 Resolution / Samsung Panel
  • AMD Free Sync / Real 100hz
  • 21:9 Ratio / 178º Viewing Angle
  • DVI / HDMI 2.0 / DP 1.2 / Flicker free
  • Korea C plug / Free Volt

curved for desktop monitors is spot on for ultra wide but for the main TV its a no go, I think curved and 3D was dropped at this years CES show for consumer TVs.

Last edited:
I think I asked this a while back and the consensus was it is just a gimmick.

I would stick with a normal screen personally.

I can't see me wanting to get one. I don't want the size of the TV to dictate optimal viewing and arrange the room accordingly. I'm content to have it shoved in the corner.

You won't have a choice as they are stop making the curved ones. Ditto with 3D TVs. Total novelty and add on factor.

I didn't realise they had dropped the 3D ones. It did seem all gimmick. Who wants to sit with daft glasses on every time you watch TV. It is not like they added much to 90% of the films anyway.

Holographic TV was one aim, but even then I think there could be scale issues. Football was talked about that you could see the whole pitch in 3D on your living room floor. Fine, but unless you have a 112 yard long living room the players will be 3" tall and chased by the dog. Films will not be that much better, picture Star Wars "Will you look at the size of that thing" to a death star the size of a football.

I didn't realise they had dropped the 3D ones. It did seem all gimmick. Who wants to sit with daft glasses on every time you watch TV. It is not like they added much to 90% of the films anyway.

Holographic TV was one aim, but even then I think there could be scale issues. Football was talked about that you could see the whole pitch in 3D on your living room floor. Fine, but unless you have a 112 yard long living room the players will be 3" tall and chased by the dog. Films will not be that much better, picture Star Wars "Will you look at the size of that thing" to a death star the size of a football.

From this years models, but maybe not for good, who knows.

They are still releasing current titles in 3D (Rogue One for example)

Didn't like active 3d, big clumsy expensive glasses which needs charging...the passive 3d lightweight cheap ones thought coupled with the right telly, amazing!

From this years models, but maybe not for good, who knows.

They are still releasing current titles in 3D (Rogue One for example)

Didn't like active 3d, big clumsy expensive glasses which needs charging...the passive 3d lightweight cheap ones thought coupled with the right telly, amazing!

LG s oled is 3d is INCREDIBLE

all the talk was 3D is dead, but lg are gonna do a 3d one in 2018 (not this year though) due to a big petition, and Panasonic have 3D on their new EX750 range.

Its just software, so stupid to drop it- they are only doing it to sell customers something 'new' like HDR, of which there is sod all available, just like 3D in 2010.

bandits

LG s oled is 3d is INCREDIBLE

all the talk was 3D is dead, but lg are gonna do a 3d one in 2018 (not this year though) due to a big petition, and Panasonic have 3D on their new EX750 range.

Its just software, so stupid to drop it- they are only doing it to sell customers something 'new' like HDR, of which there is sod all available, just like 3D in 2010.

bandits

It is. I absolutely love it!! It just got even better as well now after swapping my android box for an intel nuc. Absolutely breathtaking!!

It is. I absolutely love it!! It just got even better as well now after swapping my android box for an intel nuc. Absolutely breathtaking!!

watched 'the walk' 3D and the opening bits where he throws the sweet up in their air is so good.

4K and oled has nailed 3D , for films and gaming and there are loads of 3D films set for next 2 years- so to not enable 3D is idiotic- its not like you HAVE to use it.

Really surpised a cheapo manufacturer didn't take advantage of the big ones all dropping it aside from pana and doing some lg passive type sets

whats an intel nuc?

watched 'the walk' 3D and the opening bits where he throws the sweet up in their air is so good.

4K and oled has nailed 3D , for films and gaming and there are loads of 3D films set for next 2 years- so to not enable 3D is idiotic- its not like you HAVE to use it.

Really surpised a cheapo manufacturer didn't take advantage of the big ones all dropping it aside from pana and doing some lg passive type sets

whats an intel nuc?

Haven't tried that yet. Will watch it.

Not so much a great film but that Mrs peregrines home for peculiar children is amazing in 3d!

Very surprised at the decision to drop and after the others could have tried to make more cash by adding it. It's all weird!

Intel nuc is just basically a mini computer. Picture quality for kodi is a lot better than my previous android boxes.

Not so much a great film but that Mrs peregrines home for peculiar children is amazing in 3d!

Very surprised at the decision to drop and after the others could have tried to make more cash by adding it. It's all weird!

Intel nuc is just basically a mini computer. Picture quality for kodi is a lot better than my previous android boxes.

nice one, how much are they?

yeah Samsung were desperate to push it but been trying to kill it off for years- used to be on any 6 series and above so could get a cracking tv fro 500 or above with all the features you could want, then made the 3D on 7 series and above now dropped the lot even last year.

LG really seemed to have a niche market with the oled for 3D, like I can see people buying just for that so v odd to ditch it.

if making the TV cost no extra in 3D , to drop a selling point even for just 10 percent of the market or even less is insanity...down to greed in my opninion- the lg reps wouldn't even tell you last years had 3D as so drilled into them to push HDR

nice one, how much are they?

yeah Samsung were desperate to push it but been trying to kill it off for years- used to be on any 6 series and above so could get a cracking tv fro 500 or above with all the features you could want, then made the 3D on 7 series and above now dropped the lot even last year.

LG really seemed to have a niche market with the oled for 3D, like I can see people buying just for that so v odd to ditch it.

if making the TV cost no extra in 3D , to drop a selling point even for just 10 percent of the market or even less is insanity...down to greed in my opninion- the lg reps wouldn't even tell you last years had 3D as so drilled into them to push HDR

300ish bare bones so just add ram and ssd or nvme for storage. That's for the current gen kaby lake cpu's so will support everything (HDR later with next windows update) which is nice. The pic quality is just amazing tho!

You are right about pushing HDR as well, they are using that as their marketing machine currently. 3d won't die, surely. Way too much good stuff!!

It's going to be interesting to see where the TV industry goes to drive sales. I can't see any must-have emerging technologies, hence the grasping at 3d and curved screens. Maybe the next push is integration - TVs with Windows and built-in Xbox. It's a waste of an ultrathin wall mounted TV to still have to have boxes plugged into it.

I know a kid in that... I think she had two words to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back