Crown Jewels Cricket

S

Sid James Park

Several major UK sporting crown jewel events were protected and preserved from sky sports to enable them to be continue to be shown on free to air tv. - fa cup final,derby classic horse race,wimbledon,etc
Why was the Lords test match not included on list ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Several major UK sporting crown jewel events were protected and preserved from sky sports to enable them to be continue to be shown on free to air tv. - fa cup final,derby classic horse race,wimbledon,etc
Why was the Lords test match not included on list ???

Because Giles Clarke asked for it to be removed so could get more money from Sky. The myth abounds that no free to air channels were interested in the rights but Channel 4 made a bid and expected to win the year everything went to Sky.

Because Giles Clarke asked for it to be removed so could get more money from Sky. The myth abounds that no free to air channels were interested in the rights but Channel 4 made a bid and expected to win the year everything went to Sky.

none of them would show a test match now

its too much money for not enough audience.

Why the lords test and not test cricket full stop?

Because unfortunately cricket needs the cash too much now.

Should be a few ODIs and a slice of tests, whether it's a simulcast of the last session of play or a few 'wild card' days like the way the final went to C4 at short notice.

The new Tory sports minister is against it going back on the Crown Jewels list anyway.

Why the lords test and not test cricket full stop?
same answer .... cricket needs the cash and won't get it from terrestrial TV. I just think it's gone to payTV and won't be coming back.

BBC - although they spend £5b p.a. the BBC try to provide a full service, even after having dropped popular sport
ITV - the advertising funding model is under even more pressure than the licence fee and they're not as powerful as they were. The BBC's competition used to ITV, no longer.

Because unfortunately cricket needs the cash too much now.

Should be a few ODIs and a slice of tests, whether it's a simulcast of the last session of play or a few 'wild card' days like the way the final went to C4 at short notice.

The new Tory sports minister is against it going back on the Crown Jewels list anyway.

Yeah get that , my point to the poster I replied too was that the Lords test to me is no more important than any other test.
same answer .... cricket needs the cash and won't get it from terrestrial TV. I just think it's gone to payTV and won't be coming back.

BBC - although they spend £5b p.a. the BBC try to provide a full service, even after having dropped popular sport
ITV - the advertising funding model is under even more pressure than the licence fee and they're not as powerful as they were. The BBC's competition used to ITV, no longer.

Yeah get that and agree just didn’t like the poster I replied too thinking the lords test was more important than any other test

Last edited:
It's a pity Sky can't put a package on their Freeview channel, Pick, where they do a weekly round-up of the domestic cricket. Maybe the odd one-day game or last day or session of an important county championship match. It'd be a good showcase for getting people interested.

Yeah get that , my point to the poster I replied too was that the Lords test to me is no more important than any other test.

Yeah get that and agree just didn’t like the poster I replied too thinking the lords test was more important than any other test
Its not more important its just the home of CDricket like Wembley it to football and Twicjenham to Rugby union.

SKY does a good job with test cricket, I'd keep it there for the financial aspect. Domestic T20 is where I would advocate FTA getting involved when families are looking for something to watch on an evening, it would help to increase the already strong representation I've seen at DCCC home games. Nothing stopping BBC4/ITV4 broadcasting CC games during the day, the latter show repeats of old shows all day. The counties do an excellent job streaming games but most old folk struggle with this and are missing out.

Back