criteria for club legend

Vernon

Midfield
does it have to be top flight in your eyes or could eg lynden gooch become a club legend if he played well for us over a number of years in the lower leagues??

I would think if we get into the PL within the next 4 years and we have players who have been in the team the whole time then they will go down as “legends”, not necessarily in the same way as SKP, Quinn etc, but like Steve Finnan at Fulham, Andy King at Leicester or Ashley Williams at Swansea.

They would need to do more than get us out of league one mind

Depends really. Had it been 2 years ago I would have agreed, but now that it's looking like we have become an actual League 1 club, if one player really stood out for effort and impact to get us out, I think they'd be remembered for it.

does it have to be top flight in your eyes or could eg lynden gooch become a club legend if he played well for us over a number of years in the lower leagues??
You need to win something...a club legend puts other players on his back and carries them when things are going bad and eventually gets them to victory. SAFC hasn’t had a face for the club in years and there’s no one there right now either...

Suppose it’s how you remember the player. I loved players like gates, mcphail, owers. Marco and Benno are legends. Maybe even Armstrong.
People need to distinguish between cult figures and legends.
Putting people like Owers and Bennett in a legends list that would have to include players like Halliday, Buchan, Carter, Gurney, Shack, Hurley, Monty, Watson, SKP, Quinn etc is just not on it it devalues such a category immediately.

The main critieria is surely the memories they bring to the supporters.

Nyron Nosworthy for example. Hundreds of players have represented us with far more talent and ability but Nyron gave us some brilliant memories (even the bad ones we laugh at now) and he will be remembered forever.

I think Maguire, Gooch & O’Nien could be become somewhat cult legends if they stay a few more years and get us up and so well in the Championship. I certainly will look back and think highly of them. It might be league one but some of the goals they have scored (Gooch at MK for example) and been brilliant m.

People need to distinguish between cult figures and legends.
Putting people like Owers and Bennett in a legends list that would have to include players like Halliday, Buchan, Carter, Gurney, Shack, Hurley, Monty, Watson, SKP, Quinn etc is just not on it it devalues such a category immediately.
Good point there lad, though I’d still think Bennett is in the legend category.

Last edited:
Quinn and Phillips are probably the only club legends we've had in about thirty year. Certainly wouldn't class players like Defoe or Arca as club legends.

Nyron and Marcos Angeleri could be legends I guess.

Back