Cricket injuries

I am Boss

Winger
What’s the worst or most bizarre injury you’ve picked up playing the beautiful but ridiculous game we all love?

Had many broken fingers and toes but the worst I’ve had pain wise was fractured cheek bone doing a keeping drill on a poor pitch. Agony. Shot up and my natural reaction lift my head probably made the point of impact much worse :lol:

Once seen someone break their nose off a full toss as they’d adjusted the grill on the helmet wrong. Never seen so much blood

Playing w/k in a 18 over evening league game. The sun was straight in my eyes. I lost sight of the ball. It hit me on the forhead and I looked like a panda for a couple of weeks. My team-mates were great support!!

My last game as Umpire 2 years ago. I got hit with a straight drive and broke a rib. Called it a day then.

Once edged a beamer into my cheekbone but somehow avoided breaking it despite not wearing a helmet! To this day I think it was a deliberate beamer. As if that wasn't bad enough the situation was exacerbated when I hit my wicket as I fell to the ground ... not that I would have been able to carry on mind but at least it would have been a red inker! My face was swollen and bruised for a while and my jaw still creaks on the side I was hit although that maybe unrelated according to my dentist!

Unfortunately an opposition player wasn't as lucky in another match. The batsman absolutely nailed a delivery and it went like an exocet straight towards the non-striker (not wearing a helmet) and hit him in the face. He broke his cheekbone but it could have been worse. I was fielding at mid-off and was about five metres away when the ball hit him. The sound at the point of impact was horrendous one I will never forget (and it was about 30 years ago).

Took a bail to the eye standing behind the stumps from a direct hit, the lad absolutely pinged it in so the bails came off at a fair whack. Genuinely thought I was blind in that eye for about five minutes afterwards.

Had the mother of all black eyes for weeks afterwards, what made it worse anarl was that I was starting a new job the day after. Had to try and explain to everyone I wasn’t a wrong’un who got it from scrapping the night before.

Top edged one into my face whilst not wearing a helmet. Luckily the ball missed my eye but caught right on the eyebrow. Massive black eye for about 3 weeks.

I managed to knacker my ankle in the warmup to a game. Was playing keepy up with a footy and managed to go over on my ankle down a step onto the pitch. I actually thought I’d broken but just done the ligaments. Was on crutches for a couple of weeks but limped around for about 6 months. Didn’t play again that season.

Fielding and went to field a ball rolling in hard towards me when it hit a bit of uneven ground up into my my middle stump.

Snapped my achillies when trying to complet a quick two, they missed running me out and instead hit me while I was down on the floor trying to clamber to make my ground :lol:

Went over on my ankle jumping from a 2ft high grass wall while feilding and proceeded to roll about while everyone kaughed as they thought I was taking the piss, still went out to bat and hobbled a few runs, took a while to heal that one.

I guess a good few will have broken their big toe from an inswinging yorker, mine was by directly hitting the ball onto my big toe.

Dislocated shoulder from diving to stop a ball on the boundary.
Broken big toe from stubbing it on the front of the bowling boot.
Torn elbow ligament due to a dodgy slower ball action.
Two broken fingers.
Numerous thigh, hamstring, groin tears.
And once had a seam imprint on my forehead for 4 days after fielding short leg without a helmet and took the full brunt of a slog sweep. Thankfully no lasting damage and the ball rebounded straight back to the bowler for a C&B :lol:

numerous dislocated/broken fingers
broken nose fielding when the ball popped up
fractured rib fielding at short leg
multiple back injuries from a dodgy bowling action

Fielding against Phillie in my first ever game for a DSL club. Tried to stop a Wasim Raja cover drive and got my hand position all wrong - ball unzipped the webbing between my right thumb and forefinger. You could see all the tendons and stuff moving inside when I moved my thumb. Missed about 12 weeks of the season.

Hit on the head on several occasions - no helmets in the early days and never wore on when they became commonplace. Amazed I'm still compos mentis (although I'm sure others would beg to differ).

Got hit on the pointy bone on the outside of the wrist while bowling in the nets. Lad smashed the ball back at me while I was still slightly off-balance in my follow-through. Put my arm up to protect my face and my wrist took the brunt. Within minutes it looked like I had half a rugby ball strapped to my arm. Again, missed well over half a season as I couldn't move my wrist properly for months.

Not me personally, but I've seen two occasions when a slip fielder has ended up with a badly dislocated finger - where the it looked like the last joint had been sheared off and was hanging down the back of the finger.

Also played in a game where three of the oppositions top four batsmen were injured in the pre-game warm-up or while fielding - one stood on the ball and knacked his ankle, another dived to stop a ball on the boundary and dislocated his shoulder and the other was one of the aforementioned finger dislocations. It was quite funny seeing them on the sidelines with various strappings and dressings on. We still couldn't bowl them out to win the game.

Back