Cricket’s Future Predicted, by Vic Marks

Brilliant. I particularly like "Strictly come dancing in the jungle while baking a cake" which is a very good reason for abolishing the BBC license fee.

Kicking the BBC seems to be the new pastime now that Brexit is 'done'.

I think people need to be very careful what they wish for here as in exchange for a few pence a day, we will be rewarded with the dismantling of one of the things that actually makes this country worth living in only to find it replaced by a Rupert Murdoch owned alternative and how 'impartial' do you think that would be?

Strictly as an example makes a huge ammount of money for the BBC and enables it to provide quality TV and Radio much of it at a loss for fringe groups that no other broadcaster would touch or consider touching. An example of this would be county cricket commentaries. In what kind of weird universe do you live in if you think anyone other than the BBC would provide something like that for a few hundred listeners to each stream and without adverts?

The whole point of the BBC is that it pretty much caters for everyone no matter how weird or narrow your personal field of interest.

I really wish people would stop bashing it as the next 'trendy' thing to hate, as we will all miss it badly when its gone. I would also ask yourself the question why the Tories in particular want it gone? All the other media outlets are run by their mates, so they are irritated that they cannot control the BBC just like they effectively do with everyone else. Seems they are the new false 'enemy' now that the EU can no longer be blamed.

I assume you never listed to the Durham ball by ball coverage or test match special?

Last edited:
I fail to see how favouring abolishing the licence fee and replacing it with a voluntary fee amounts to kicking the BBC-it's simply bringing choice into the equation. Rarely listen to Durham ball by ball or TMS, simply keep up to date online or watch Durham tv coverage. Fail to see how that makes BBC my enemy.

I fail to see how favouring abolishing the licence fee and replacing it with a voluntary fee amounts to kicking the BBC-it's simply bringing choice into the equation. Rarely listen to Durham ball by ball or TMS, simply keep up to date online or watch Durham tv coverage. Fail to see how that makes BBC my enemy.

There's no way the BBC is surviving on voluntary donations like

Would you like a free ticket for the match?
No thanks, I'm going to pay for a ticket.

Said nobody, ever.

Back