Credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sebasaurus II

Is it weird that I'm 27 and have never taken out a credit card? Should I get one to start building up a credit score?

I hate credit cards but they've got me some stuff I consider to be "free". plus you get increased protection.

in short, you're missing out on "free" benefits.

I'm 30 and my only credit card experience was getting a store card to get 10% off a suit I was buying. Don't like the idea of credit cards.

It is good to start building credit, especially if you're looking to get a mortgage someday.

Great if you use them well

Incredibly dangerous if you don't

I have 3, all paid off monthly

I don't spend money I haven't got, I wouldn't even if I had a credit card. I would literally just be using it for the credit score malarkey. I applied for one with Halifax a year or two ago and they rejected me. Haven't really thought about it since.

I don't spend money I haven't got, I wouldn't even if I had a credit card. I would literally just be using it for the credit score malarkey. I applied for one with Halifax a year or two ago and they rejected me. Haven't really thought about it since.
I clear mine monthly so just keep a spreadsheet with rough running balance on it. I pay for any travel tickets, flights, shopping, petrol etc. crazy not to unless you have self-discipline issues. (I take mine out of my wallet on the smash now)

I'm 34 and never had one and have no plans to get one. I am fairly good at managing my finances and if I want something that is out of my reach then I'll save up for it.

I'm 34 and never had one and have no plans to get one. I am fairly good at managing my finances and if I want something that is out of my reach then I'll save up for it.
I treat mine as cash. made the error of buying a hifi as a young fool and kept rolling the debt instead of paying it off. £250 hifi cost about a grand in the end.

If you're not a bellend with money get one. Good for building up credit and points towards free flights etc. I put pretty much everything on mine and pay it off in full every month.

You don't have to spend money you don't have if you have a credit card, but it is useful for things such as online purchases, where you'll get more cover (although rarely needed).

For online purchases I previously used my debit card for, I started to use my credit card before instantly transferring the money over, just to build a credit history and show a reliability with credit.

If you're strict and sensible with yourself and how you spend you should have no bother, although it does become very easy and very tempting to use it at times when the cash isn't available.

I've only just recently started taking balances into the next month, but pay back a large chunk more than the minimum payment most months, as I hate the idea of giving any more money than I have to, to banking establishments.

I clear mine monthly so just keep a spreadsheet with rough running balance on it. I pay for any travel tickets, flights, shopping, petrol etc. crazy not to unless you have self-discipline issues. (I take mine out of my wallet on the smash now)

I've read that applying for credit cards and getting turned down can actually harm your credit score. Checking your credit score through Experian can also harm your credit score apparently? What should I be looking for in a first credit card? I'm out of my depth.

:lol: - at the bit in bold

I've read that applying for credit cards and getting turned down can actually harm your credit score. Checking your credit score through Experian can also harm your credit score apparently? What should I be looking for in a first credit card? I'm out of my depth.

:lol: - at the bit in bold

hard lesson learned there mate I can tell you.

personally I chose mine based on benefits on offer. gets paid off monthly so rate is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back