Covering night shift

Used to do 4pm til 2am Sunday to Thursday, that was 4.5 years ago and my natural sleep patter is still pretty much fixed to those hours, only done it for a couple of years too.

It all depends on your life though, no idea how anyone does it with kids as I can't imagine many 6 year olds won't be making a noise before or after school, if you're single though you can just move your meals/drinking around the shift, doing 2 or 3 different shifts must mess you up though.

Normally do a bit work at 7pm then go to sleep,wake up about 5am ish more work then turn everything off at 7am and have a normal day. If it's a proper nightshift then I would have a late one the night before and have a lie in, goto work and get a snooze around 4amish, McDonald's breakfast on the way home at 7am, piss about with my phone in bed until the kids leave for school then sleep until 2ish then repeat.

Despised night shift. Not done one since 2018 and never will again.

My routine was get home about half 7. Shower and sleep till between 4 and 5pm.

At the end of the week I’d set my alarm for about half 10 in the morning and force myself up.

All in all a shite experience. Especially when you’ve got people being noisy out in the street during the day.

I worked 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts at Heathrow for many years, 7am to 7pm for a couple of days then 7pm to 7am for the next two nights. It meant I worked a LOT of weekends and public holidays but for many years I loved it. As i got older I found I could not sleep so well after the nights, to the point I'd be in bed by 8am and awake before 11:30 so I felt like shite for a couple of days, then back on shift.

Loved it at the time, would not go back to it now.
Did the same shifts for about 7 years.
Never really appreciated how many weekends it eats into. When kids came along I knew I needed to get off shifts.
Health wise it totally fciks you up.

Definitely agree they get harder as you get older , when i'm on nights there 12 hrs 6.30pm - 6.30am , Get in after 7 / Shower and breakfast get to bed about 8.30am after every one else in the house has gone to work. Often wake up several times and are nearly always up by 12.30 - 1pm. The only plus side is i sleep pretty good on first night off which is a Saturday tend yo have one can and a couple of whisky's which seems to help.

"Don't go into Asda wearing a green t-shirt, I am covering for Sandra's nightshift this Thursday and Brenda on Friday." Sure this was a Viz top tip.

Did 4 nights Monday to Friday morning. Just used to stay awake Friday and go to sleep as normal on the night then enjoyed my weekend. Some Fridays were brutal at the start but you get used to it after a while

I know a few lads who used to do night shift at our place, finished at 07:15 then used to have a few cans when they got in the house. Dunno if I could bring myself to do it like.
Years and years ago I did 4 weeks of nights and did just this

Got in and had 2 cans then bed. Thought it was a canny novelty, felt propa naughty having a can at breakfast time. Novelty wore after a week like

Work nights every 3 weeks. Not a fan but I’m lucky that I can get a good 7-8 hours through the day. Doesn’t stop me feeling like crap mind. On my last one I tend to get up about 9am and just potter on all day. Treat it like a day off. Then come 9pm on the night I’m ready for the cot

Used to love nightshift years ago at my first workplace. Working on my tod looking out over the night sky listening to Detroit techno then having a few hours kip when I was supposed to be working. Money for nothing.

At ours we do a week of nights followed by a week off.
When working nights, I'm straight to bed when I get in, about 7am
Get up about 1pm ish, have the afternoon and early evening before going to work.
After my last night, I stay awake all day and go to bed at "normal" bedtime to get back into my daytime routine. Seems to work for me but we only do one week of nights every 10 weeks

Back