County Champo - Div 1 will consist of 10 Teams from 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri

Striker
Still play 14 matches. 50 over comp will be at the same tie as the new comp (The Hundred), T20 unchanged

County Championship to be restructured with 10-team first division from 2020

County cricket will revert to a first division of ten teams from 2020 in a bid to stop short-term decision making by coaches fearing the sack.

The changes announced on Wednesday will see three teams promoted to division one next season and only one relegated to enable the switch to a ten team first division and eight in the second.

The championship schedule will continue to feature 14 matches and a seeding system will be introduced to decide who plays who twice in a season given ten teams will play 14 matches.

The summer of 2020 will include the biggest shake up of domestic cricket in this country since the introduction of Twenty20 cricket in 2003. The England & Wales Cricket Board will launch The Hundred, although the official release yesterday intriguingly only referred to the “New Competition” rather than anything specific. This is because the competition is yet to be signed off formally by the ECB board, which is expected to happen at the end of next month.

The introduction of the new tournament has given the game the opportunity to look at the whole domestic schedule and the changes are the result of findings of a working party led by Wasim Khan, the chief executive of Leicestershire.

One of the major concerns from counties was that the current system of two teams relegated from eight in division one was unfair, particularly with coaches now held accountable more than ever for results. It is thought the fear of losing their jobs is why counties invested in Kolpaks or signed players from smaller counties rather than gamble on their own untried, young English players.

The other major change will see the county 50-over competition played during The Hundred, or whatever it will finally be called, in 2020. It is a sidelining of the 50-over game after the World Cup next year as cricket focuses ever more greatly on the shortened formats. Overseas players will not be allowed in the 50-over competition to avoid counties and city based teams trying to outbid each other for talent.

The Vitality Blast will remain in its current format after counties fought off attempts to reduce the amount of matches. The Blast is a major money spinner for the counties and they will continue to play 14 group matches. The Minor Counties, whose support for the new tournament was so important for the ECB hierarchy, have been rewarded for their loyalty with the promise of a round of matches against county opposition as warm up for the 50-over tournament.

The wankers have one job. That’s all. Simply put, they’ve only got to look after the running off the Championship and it should be a piece of piss, it should pretty much run itself.

But they still can’t f***ing get that right :mad:

So no overseas in 50 over cricket to stop counties and franchises wanting the same players??

What a load of utter f***ing bollocks

Why not just go back to one division like it used to be

I’d rather we had one division, than two divisions of different number.

To be honest too, as much as I liked the two division format for most of its existence - I can see a time when they go back to one division. I think a lot of the clubs have highlighted the fact that there’s becoming too big a gulf from top to bottom on and off the field and perhaps the best thing for the future of county cricket would be a return to one division.

I've always been an advocate of 2 divisions, I reckon it makes for more competitive cricket. However, given Durham's current plight (and the seemingly 0% chance of Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Glamorgan ever getting promoted), I'm thinking a 2 or 3 division regional first phase, then a 2 or 3 division second phase would be a suitable compromise.

I've always been an advocate of 2 divisions, I reckon it makes for more competitive cricket. However, given Durham's current plight (and the seemingly 0% chance of Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Glamorgan ever getting promoted), I'm thinking a 2 or 3 division regional first phase, then a 2 or 3 division second phase would be a suitable compromise.
The second phase based on merit.

No way should they go back to one division, without the jepody of promotion and relegation you would go back to 14 or 15 counties having nowt to play for by the end of may. The two divisions has saved county championship cricket.
Agreed. But its knackered the smaller counties to the point where their very existence is threatened. So maybe a bit of both is the way forward.

No way should they go back to one division, without the jepody of promotion and relegation you would go back to 14 or 15 counties having nowt to play for by the end of may. The two divisions has saved county championship cricket.

Of course , you have to have that competitve edge, under the old system too many dead rubbers.

Of course , you have to have that competitve edge, under the old system too many dead rubbers.
The criticism of the two divisions is the suspicion that some counties have given up on the competition and only concentrate on one day and T20. (Northants and Leics) Not sure I'd agree with that, I think the County Championship is rated very highly by the players.

OTOH some counties try too hard (Hants) and bring in too many overseas to the detriment of homegrowns - of course if that was true the way to address it would not be to downgrade the competition.

As far as Durham is concerned I hope they keep the championship as their main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back