County Championship on Sky.

According to the commentators on 5 Live Xtra this week, Hampshire have poached Somerset's groundsman and are trying to sign Nathan Lyon for next season.

With Dawson and Crane already there they could go the spin route to try to win the title next season. Yorkshire are also in for Lyon though.
The Hampshire commentary on 5live extra was painful today, was hard going listening to it

I'm an Essex supporter, from way back to the days of Ken McEwan, Ray East and Stuart Turner. There's a part of me, though, that wants Somerset to win. What they've given to the county game over the decades would make them worthy and deserving champions.

Have you read Derek Pringle's book from last year? Made the William Hill shortlist, I think you'd enjoy it.

Just one more thing in Sibley, nobody is listening like but hey I enjoy writing cricket, I watched highlights of his innings, you can't knock him but having watched a summer of Australia's lost, its notable how irrelevant CC runs could be. I'd still pick him, but its all low 80s, very full, loads of balls straying into the pads

There is just no way you could say if he would have scored runs against Hazlewood and Cummins based on that

not his fault that mind
I take your point but there's still not many players have scored 3 double hundreds by his age. That to me is more meaningful than his average, obviously puts a high value to his wicket and scores the daddy hundreds, that's something England have lacked for a while. Demonstrates good stamina, concentration and determination.

Last edited:
I take your point but there's still not many players have scored 3 double hundreds by his age. That to me is more meaningful than his average, obviously puts a high value to his wicket and scores the daddy hundreds, that's something England have lacked for a while. Demonstrates good stamina, concentration and determination.

Absolutely does, not disputing that. Just how noticeably lower in quality the bowling was that was all.

Have you read Derek Pringle's book from last year? Made the William Hill shortlist, I think you'd enjoy it.

Yes, a cracking read. He received a lot of grief from the Chelmsford faithful. To the point where he shouted the loudest "Piss off!" I've ever heard to one Smart Alec at a NatWest Trophy game, much to the crowd's enjoyment.

His writing has always been considered and constructive. An interesting addition to the Essex staff at the time and made the most of what he had. There were much better players about but his work ethic carried him through.

Unfortunately the weather forecast looks bleak. Thunder and lightning predicted for tomorrow and Tuesday and persistent rain Wednesday and Thursday. Both sides and the championship itself deserve a better end than this so fingers crossed the forecast is a bit awry.

Unfortunately the weather forecast looks bleak. Thunder and lightning predicted for tomorrow and Tuesday and persistent rain Wednesday and Thursday. Both sides and the championship itself deserve a better end than this so fingers crossed the forecast is a bit awry.
I live about 30 minutes from Taunton and I will be surprised if there is more than a day's play with the forecast for round here

If it does Somerset will be really unlucky mind, not even having the chance to win the game.

Over recent years they have been really unfortunate and there always seems something crops up and they fall at the final hurdle

Apart from a brief respite on Wednesday afternoon, there may not be another ball bowled at Taunton

Very sad if that happens to be the case.

The draw is 2/5 on Skybet currently, so if people are confident about the weather - £100 gets you a £40 profit ;)

Back