Counting calories....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackem Chris

Striker
I watched "That sugar film" and basically he was eating 2300 calories a day of healthy stuff etc.

He started eating foods that were high in sugar but was still only eating 2300 calories a day.

He gained 18lbs in 2 month.

Can anyone explain that?

Only that it probably didn't happen, maybe he is 5 foot 2 and doesn't excercise

I'm not watching it, so can't really comment too much, but there's no way he gained 18lbs of tissue providing other variables regarding activity etc were the same.

Did he go from a ketogenic/VLC diet in to a high carb diet?

I watched "That sugar film" and basically he was eating 2300 calories a day of healthy stuff etc.

He started eating foods that were high in sugar but was still only eating 2300 calories a day.

He gained 18lbs in 2 month.

Can anyone explain that?

Was it filmed over the Christmas holiday?

Everyone puts on weight at that time of the year, even top scientists have evidence for this.

I'm not watching it, so can't really comment too much, but there's no way he gained 18lbs of tissue providing other variables regarding activity etc were the same.

Did he go from a ketogenic/VLC diet in to a high carb diet?

He wasn't eating sugary foods then switched to foods that were supposed to be healthy but we're high in sugar.

Eating the same amount of calories though.

There's a load of doctors etc on it explaining things, it's not just a bloke, he gets all sorts of tests done.

It's worth a watch

He wasn't eating sugary foods then switched to foods that were supposed to be healthy but we're high in sugar.

Eating the same amount of calories though.

There's a load of doctors etc on it explaining things, it's not just a bloke, he gets all sorts of tests done.

It's worth a watch

Sugar can't magically synthesise tissue beyond what energy balance dictates. There is more to the story than the documentary has made out

Many people have made a point of losing a lot of weight or getting extremely lean on almost exclusively sugary foods to dispel this

Sugar can't magically synthesise tissue beyond what energy balance dictates. There is more to the story than the documentary has made out

Many people have made a point of losing a lot of weight or getting extremely lean on almost exclusively sugary foods to dispel this

Where have you seen this like mate? Wouldn't mind seeing the other side of the coin

Superb film and the science explains it.....Essentially despite it being the same number of calories the high sugar foods (low fat yoghurt, fruit juice etc) causes insulin spikes which causes the increase in fat.....It is explained superbly on the film which you can view free of charge on link below.

http://coolmoviezone.org/that-sugar-film-2014/

Superb film and the science explains it.....Essentially despite it being the same number of calories the high sugar foods (low fat yoghurt, fruit juice etc) causes insulin spikes which causes the increase in fat.....It is explained superbly on the film which you can view free of charge on link below.

http://coolmoviezone.org/that-sugar-film-2014/

Apparantly it's not true.

I would be interested in seeing anyone explain how it's not true.

I'm nee expert like but they did seem to explain everything

Well the explanation he gives is one that I have read many times in various magazines and health website, it seems largely accepted science. I know from experience that if I eat similar amounts of low GI food compared to high GI food my body does not deal with it as well. Purely anecdotal but I get bloated and feel shit.

Well the explanation he gives is one that I have read many times in various magazines and health website, it seems largely accepted science. I know from experience that if I eat similar amounts of low GI food compared to high GI food my body does not deal with it as well. Purely anecdotal but I get bloated and feel shit.

So it is possible that he ate 2300 calories then ate 2300 calories of food high in sugar and gained a load of weight?

So it is possible that he ate 2300 calories then ate 2300 calories of food high in sugar and gained a load of weight?

There appears to be lots of conflicting evidence depending on who writes it and what their agenda is.....I know that generally if I eat a calorie deficit no matter what it is made up of I lose weight......HOWEVER i seem to lose quicker when I am eating less sugar and quicker still if I am eating low carbs. This is obviously just me but the explanation on the That sugar movie made an awful lot of sense to me.

Titus has explained it adequately. And funnily enough is almost at the stage we'd call 'expert'. He studies exercise and nutrition as well as dispensing advice on it for a living. I'd argue the only thing standing between him now and being an 'expert' is a bit more time/experience.

A calorie is a unit of energy. It's that simple and that's an accepted, scientific fact. If you start from that statement it becomes fairly obvious why there's something the film is either not letting on or has overlooked/not accounted for. When it comes to overall weight gain, a body cannot differentiate between equal units of energy.

Titus has explained it adequately. And funnily enough is almost at the stage we'd call 'expert'. He studies exercise and nutrition as well as dispensing advice on it for a living. I'd argue the only thing standing between him now and being an 'expert' is a bit more time/experience.

A calorie is a unit of energy. It's that simple and that's an accepted, scientific fact. If you start from that statement it becomes fairly obvious why there's something the film is either not letting on or has overlooked/not accounted for. When it comes to overall weight gain, a body cannot differentiate between equal units of energy.

So to sum up, it impossible to put on weight eating the same amount of calories but high sugar food

So to sum up, it impossible to put on weight eating the same amount of calories but high sugar food

Your phrasing is pretty confusing. Obviously it is possible, if you're eating in excess of your TDEE.

What I think you're referring to is the excess being made up of simple sugar rich foods vs, say, foods made of complex carboydrates of equal calories. The answer to that is no. You will not gain any more weight as your body has no extra energy with which to synthesise new tissue/to actually form the new tissue.

The most helpful thing to remember here:

One kCal is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of pure water by 1 degree Celsius. There is no mechanism by which the human body can distinguish between the aforementioned unit of energy derived from sugar as opposed to if it was derived from protein. It's a unit to measure energy. Nothing more than that.

Just butting in, but is the argument along the same lines as
Alcohol makes you fat.
Briefly
Alcohol splits into acetate and fat.
Fat gets stored as fat.
Acetate is used as energy.
Rest of carbs fat protein etc don't get used as energy and get stored as fat.
Is this what the high sugar diet does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back