Council tax.

It will be. They've had lower Council Tax bills for years. Think it's down to the amount of revenue collected from business rates

Business rates are pooled nationally & then redistributed. But from a few years back they allowed councils to keep part of the rates than came from increased growth.

The London ones is more down to car parking & parking fines. Also the higher council tax bands of the housing stock

Wandsworth is a little over £910 this year for band D. Less that half of Durham's.
Fraction of a size of Durham and will have a revenue many, many times over what DCC brings in. The Battersea Power Station development is probably worth more than Durham as a whole. :lol:

The inner London boroughs aren't really a good comparison to anything, they're so unique due to population density, business rates, parking income etc.

Business rates are pooled nationally & then redistributed. But from a few years back they allowed councils to keep part of the rates than came from increased growth.

The London ones is more down to car parking & parking fines. Also the higher council tax bands of the housing stock

Indeed, but I'd imagine the rateable value of some commercial property in Westminster is incredible. And I doubt they worry too much about their revenue support settlement figure.

Fraction of a size of Durham and will have a revenue many, many times over what DCC brings in. The Battersea Power Station development is probably worth more than Durham as a whole. :lol:

The inner London boroughs aren't really a good comparison to anything, they're so unique due to population density, business rates, parking income etc.

Thing is Durham had money for a new fancy HQ 60 million? I watched the council tax meeting from last month and some of the waste both sides were quoting was astounding. It's quite a concern really when they continue to plead poverty. A few statements during that meeting suggested there was funds available to prevent the high max increase. It's becoming silly now & the petty squabbling from the councillors in that meeting was embarrassing.

Last edited:

I appreciate that. It just demonstrates how iniquitous the tax is. Would it be stupid to suggest that it should be done away with? Add xx pence to income tax then distribute it to Councils. Cheaper to collect, fairer etc?
Thing is Durham had money for a new fancy HQ 60 million? I watched the council tax meeting from last month and some of the waste both sides were quoting was astounding. It's quite a concern really when they continue to plead poverty. A few statements during that meeting suggested there was funds available to prevent the high max increase. It's becoming silly now & the petty squabbling from the councillors in that meeting was embarrassing.
Pisses me off that the accounts are 'available for inspection'. They should be published on their website.

Last edited:
The one that they're now not going to use? Sold it unused to the university or something like that, didn't they?

Standing empty at the minute.

Another white elephant, like the Tolent site on the opposite side of the river.

Yeah I think they actually sold it at a profit (might be wrong), but point remains they have money and it was mentioned in that meeting I refer to along with millions of quid of wastage. Frustrating really.

Can you explain a little more as I must be missing something. If I want someone to do my garden I have to pay them. I don't expect the Council to do it. Or have I completely misunderstood what you are saying?
Misunderstood likely mate. We have open grass areas and a park and things which are listed by the council as public spaces but they’re not maintained by the council and we have to pay for the grass to be mowed, park to be maintained etc.

Misunderstood likely mate. We have open grass areas and a park and things which are listed by the council as public spaces but they’re not maintained by the council and we have to pay for the grass to be mowed, park to be maintained etc.

Sounds odd

Back