Council Football Pitches

Dodgey centre circle, and grass could maybe do with a trim, but other than that it looks in canny nick? Especially given the weather this year.
Not sure what the lad is expecting? Been watching too much Sky Sports I think
Love the penalty spot in the largest six yard box!

The council contractors are having a right touch atm
Money for nothing and the councils are letting them away with it... not cut, not marked and some are downright dangerous...

Marking a pitch from scratch isn't a 'nightmare'.
A marker, measuring tape and a long stringline and easy done
It’s a nightmare. It takes hours. When you’re giving up your time free of charge, devoting a day of your weekend is a nightmare. Especially when it can be done in 2 hours if the pitch has existing markings to follow.

If you think wasting a day marking out a pitch from scratch is fun or an ideal way to spend your weekend then you’re a very strange individual indeed.

It’s a nightmare. It takes hours. When you’re giving up your time free of charge, devoting a day of your weekend is a nightmare. Especially when it can be done in 2 hours if the pitch has existing markings to follow.

If you think wasting a day marking out a pitch from scratch is fun or an ideal way to spend your weekend then you’re a very strange individual indeed.
No need for the weirdness.
I didn't say it was necessarily 'fun' or an ideal way to spend a weekend - I said it's hardly a 'nightmare'.
I've a lot of experience in marking sports pitches, both over marking and marking from scratch, and I've never known anyone take a day (or hours).

If you regard giving up your free time to do something as a nightmare and as wasting your time, I'd suggest it's something you don't really want to be doing - then don't !

No need for the weirdness.
I didn't say it was necessarily 'fun' or an ideal way to spend a weekend - I said it's hardly a 'nightmare'.
I've a lot of experience in marking sports pitches, both over marking and marking from scratch, and I've never known anyone take a day (or hours).

If you regard giving up your free time to do something as a nightmare and as wasting your time, I'd suggest it's something you don't really want to be doing - then don't !
Yes obviously you’ve done it, hence your “look at me - I only need a string line and a surveyors tape” comment.

It takes me between 4-6 hours to mark a pitch out properly and ensure that everything is straight. Then another hour on top to go over the lines for a second time. Even moving all the equipment from one end to the other takes time. As does getting the equipment in and out of the shed and washing it after use.

Compared to going over pre-marked lines, starting from scratch is a nightmare. And as it goes, I don’t do it anymore.

Yes obviously you’ve done it, hence your “look at me - I only need a string line and a surveyors tape” comment.

It takes me between 4-6 hours to mark a pitch out properly and ensure that everything is straight. Then another hour on top to go over the lines for a second time. Even moving all the equipment from one end to the other takes time. As does getting the equipment in and out of the shed and washing it after use.

Compared to going over pre-marked lines, starting from scratch is a nightmare. And as it goes, I don’t do it anymore.
'Look at me' WTF???
It's nowt to do with 'look at me'.
A string line and a tape (and a marker) is pretty much all you need.

Not being 'clever' at all - merely stating that I think your use of the word 'nightmare' is a tad over the top.
In all seriousness, apologies if I came across as having a go - it wasn't my intention.

Obviously, it takes longer to mark from scratch, but with goalposts being in 'sockets' more often than not, there isn't even a need to take 'right angles' these days.

'Look at me' WTF???
It's nowt to do with 'look at me'.
A string line and a tape (and a marker) is pretty much all you need.

Not being 'clever' at all - merely stating that I think your use of the word 'nightmare' is a tad over the top.
In all seriousness, apologies if I came across as having a go - it wasn't my intention.

Obviously, it takes longer to mark from scratch, but with goalposts being in 'sockets' more often than not, there isn't even a need to take 'right angles' these days.
Jesus. Talk about being pedantic.

To me it’s a nightmare. If you think wasting 4-6 hours of your weekend needlessly is not a nightmare then good luck to you.

Now go and find someone else to nause

Jesus. Talk about being pedantic.

To me it’s a nightmare. If you think wasting 4-6 hours of your weekend needlessly is not a nightmare then good luck to you.

Now go and find someone else to nause
Suit yourself.
If you think marking a pitch out is some sort of nightmare then you obviously have no idea how to do it properly - must have been terrible for you - how ever did you get over it..

Used to coach kids in the Russell Foster and we used to bring a bag of sand to fill the potholes in and get the kids to do a dog shit sweep beforehand.. that pitch marking is something new though!!

marley potts top pitch had a slope side to side had to have one leg longer than the other,bottom pitch public footpath for prams etc,thompsons clarts was a challenge,mind the colliery welfare and shipyard pitches were always kept top notch.

I played for Broadway school against Argyle House up Tunstall Hill. It's very exposed up there and the day we played on a terrible slopy pitch it was blowing a hooley! At one point it started hail stoning, git massive things bouncing of you bare legs. Not pleasant at all.

I actually made my Sunday morning debut up there too. The pitch was a lot better but unfortunately I slept in, only turned up 5 minutes before kick off and got dropped! Someone got injured after about half an hour so on I trotted. I scored a header from corners in each half and never slept in for the next 10 years 🙂

We used to play a lot of away matches on the Knavesmire in the middle of York racecourse.

We were just about to kick off against Kings Arms FC (from that pub next to the river that always floods) and there was a huge grey cloud rolling towards us just as we lined up to kick off. Everyone was thinking wtf is this?

It turned out to be a Hailstorm and we had to kick off into it. You couldn’t lift your head up to pass it was that bad and an absolute killer on bare legs.

Everyone looked like they had been on the deck of a trawler in a storm after it subsided 🤣

If you managed to avoid the joyriders at Marley Pots then the home fans drinking cans would get you. You didn't want to be playing on the wing there. Nor Tunstall Hill when the ball went out for a throw and you had to virtually get a bus to retrieve it.

Back