Cooker problem.

Gelan

Winger
Yep, another help me post, but it's just been one of those weeks. Had a water leak and it dripped onto the cooker. The low level grill and oven work fine, but the four plates when switched on above (1) trip the pcb. Have taken all the plates off, dried all the connectors with an electric paint stripper on the lowest setting but still the same. The plates look completely sealed, but maybe not.

Is it new cooker time?

Yep, another help me post, but it's just been one of those weeks. Had a water leak and it dripped onto the cooker. The low level grill and oven work fine, but the four plates when switched on above (1) trip the pcb. Have taken all the plates off, dried all the connectors with an electric paint stripper on the lowest setting but still the same. The plates look completely sealed, but maybe not.

Is it new cooker time?
Hand her a towel

How you keeping Gelan mate ? Been a while
Strange times mate...not been posting much as working on 3 albums (60 songs) plus I've gone the other way of late...no, not the gay stuff, more so reworked the studio to analogue. The missus lost her mum January, and although that should have set her back, she's somehow found a new calmness, so yeah, some peace I have hence having headspace and time to get my music published. Hope all is good with you.

❤️
Use the £314 to buy new parts
That won't buy me a working penis mate.
Try using the grill, (cheese on toast :cool:) - and the heat rising from it might dry out any moisture above it on your plates.
Might work.
Brilliant 👍

Last edited:
Strange times mate...not been posting much as working on 3 albums (60 songs) plus I've gone the other way of late...no, not the gay stuff, more so reworked the studio to analogue. The missus lost her mum January, and although that should have set her back, she's somehow found a new calmness, so yeah, some peace I have hence having headspace and time to get my music published. Hope all is good with you.

❤️

That won't buy me a working penis mate.

Brilliant 👍
No one is talking about penis.

You'll have to add your songs on here to listen too on Youtube?

How long have they been tripping out for..happened to me a while back and the leccy i got out said it can take ages for the plates to properly dry out..moisture in the kitchen..etc..i listened to him and after another couple of days it went back to normal.

How long have they been tripping out for..happened to me a while back and the leccy i got out said it can take ages for the plates to properly dry out..moisture in the kitchen..etc..i listened to him and after another couple of days it went back to normal.
Sussed it...I have the cooker and the cess pit pump running off the same supply. Because of this set up, I have to have a very sensitive trip. Add water spillage and there you go: The expert opinion is below. Good thing is four replacement hotplates only come to £50 on Ebay, so not worth drying them out with a straight fuse, they're rusty as fuck anyway. I hope this helps.

Elements in cookers are made with mineral insulation and the ends of the elements can never be sealed completely. The mineral insulation is hygroscopic so will draw in any moisture causing the RCD to trip. By heating the element the water will first cause more of a problem then it will be driven out. When cookers have got damp in storage often they need connecting to a non RCD supply to dry out and are then OK when used regular.

It was common not to fit RCD's to the cooker supply but in 2008 the regulations changed and wires buried at less than 50mm in a wall need RCD protection unless special cables are used. Ceramic hobs don't in general suffer in the same way as the older type elements and the oven element is more protected from damp. So modern cookers don't have the same problems to the older type.

There are ways to dry out a damp element but it can be dangerous. As a result I am not prepared to say how it is done. However most electricians will know and will be able to get the cooker running again.

Elements can of course go faulty as well as drawing in water. And the electrician will be able to work out if the element is faulty or just damp. This is not really a DIY job so likely you will need an electrician to correct it for you.
Here's the dodgy method...take out the circuit breaker and replace with a piece of think wire....turn all the hotplates to max for 15 minutes.....sorted 👍

Last edited:

Back