Controversial

Stattos child

Full Back
I’m against the hundred (not opposed to franchise but why change to 100 balls) but if it brings in new fans via terrestrial tv then great, especially for woman’s game which is thriving

my issue is why are women expert commentators on men’s game, no problem with women who are great broadcasters (ala Brian johnson) but I’m am an old average 2nd team Durham senior league bowler, but I could ply a trade in the women’s game so why can’t I get an expert gig on the men’s commentary.
just to say as a father of a girl I am all about expanding the woman’s game, but I feel sorry for very good county cricketers who maybe now can’t get a gig as a commentator after they retire

I know you are right, like I say don’t mind any commentators and blofeld, Johnson etc all very good without playing the game, so no reason why a woman can’t be a great commentator, however Johnson etc called the game and did not offer technical analysis etc, just wonder how you can offer “expert opinion on 90mph bowling when the quickest you will have faced is 75mph. Having played the game the difference between 75mpn and 90 is huge and has huge implications on technique etc

I know you are right, like I say don’t mind any commentators and blofeld, Johnson etc all very good without playing the game, so no reason why a woman can’t be a great commentator, however Johnson etc called the game and did not offer technical analysis etc, just wonder how you can offer “expert opinion on 90mph bowling when the quickest you will have faced is 75mph. Having played the game the difference between 75mpn and 90 is huge and has huge implications on technique etc
That's a bit of an outlier example. Didn't watch today's games but yesterday had Tufnell, Vaughan, James Anderson and Isa Guha, three of which could answer your hypothetical question.

You have changed my opinion a bit, still feels a bit to much like positive discrimination but maybe in current climate that is needed a bit. If nothing else if it helps to grow the game then a good thing

Last edited:
You have changed my opinion a bit, still feels a bit to much like positive discrimination but maybe in current climate that is needed a bit. If nothing else if it helps to grow the game then a good thing

I am also a dad of a girl who plays cricket and think the fact there's a woman on the show does send an important message about inclusivity and the sport being for them as well as boys.

I am also a dad of a girl who plays cricket and think the fact there's a woman on the show does send an important message about inclusivity and the sport being for them as well as boys.

Also having people of colour on is good as it’s a small part in breaking the view of it as a white middle class game. Mind Tymal Mills and Rainford-Brent are good enough to hold their role regardless of box-ticking imo.

Rainford-Brent is excellent and as mentioned above she could hold her own for any cricket game. The female presenter on sky on the opening night of the 100, didn't have a clue what was going on, reading off a sheet of paper, got team names wrong. Overkill at times

Agree with all of this.

I tend to find the female pundits/comms are the same as the blokes. Some are very good and others are completely shite.

Also having people of colour on is good as it’s a small part in breaking the view of it as a white middle class game. Mind Tymal Mills and Rainford-Brent are good enough to hold their role regardless of box-ticking imo.
How is cricket a white mans game? Biggest nation in the game is India who aren’t white… if anything it’s an Asian game that we play too

You can extend the argument to anything tho

How can Jose Mourinho coach in the champions league when he played at such a poor level?

Analysis and assessment of something is a very different skill set to actually being able to do something

Not sure that’s really the case though. 2 in the England 11 at present
Assuming you mean Archer and Jordan, Archer didn’t come through the system. And Jordan is debatable

Very very few have actually come through the system. Carberry is one of the few. The others tend to have been overseas born

Some more Asian players have come through, Rashid and Moeen for example, but it’s still pretty rare given the population (especially from communities that tend to have cricket links)

Assuming you mean Archer and Jordan, Archer didn’t come through the system. And Jordan is debatable

Very very few have actually come through the system. Carberry is one of the few. The others tend to have been overseas born

Some more Asian players have come through, Rashid and Moeen for example, but it’s still pretty rare given the population (especially from communities that tend to have cricket links)
Both WI born and rarely in the same 11.

9 black cricketers on the county circuit
33 in 1995
You’ve done the research for me. Cheers!

Back