Commodore 64 at 40

neiluk1985

Midfield
40 year old this month! was my first computer when I was about 7 or 8 and can still remember some of the games (and the cassettes, and the coding to load them, and the flashing colours around the screen). Kids these days with their xboxes don’t know they’re born!! :lol:

turbo outrun, paperboy, Daley Thomson’s Olympic challenge, ghostbusters - absolute classics man!

The Commodore 64 at 40: back to the future of video games

My mate had one.

Stick the tape in and go to the field in front of his house for a 30 minute game of Wembley while it loaded up. Come back into find the tape had been chewed and it hadn't loaded.

What was the manager game where they asked you a quiz question to get extra funds ( I think)? Loved that.

Used to have one when I was a similar age. Kickstart and Mr Puniverse were my two favourite games. Would love to play them again just for the nostalgia!

40 year old this month! was my first computer when I was about 7 or 8 and can still remember some of the games (and the cassettes, and the coding to load them, and the flashing colours around the screen). Kids these days with their xboxes don’t know they’re born!! :lol:

turbo outrun, paperboy, Daley Thomson’s Olympic challenge, ghostbusters - absolute classics man!

The Commodore 64 at 40: back to the future of video games

loved mine, was a massive upgrade to the second hand vic20 before it!!

Was the first computer I owned. Shared Christmas present with my sister. Loved it. Remember getting Streetfighter II on tape which was a massively stripped down version compared to the console versions. Took 15 minutes to load and if you wanted to change character you had to reload the full thing again.:lol:

Was the first computer I owned. Shared Christmas present with my sister. Loved it. Remember getting Streetfighter II on tape which was a massively stripped down version compared to the console versions. Took 15 minutes to load and if you wanted to change character you had to reload the full thing again.:lol:

What was the name of that manager sim we used to play on? Was class that. We'd gan four players. Then make three of the other players just sell their best players to your main player while also selling all your shite players to the other three teams.

You'd get to division one in no time.

What was the name of that manager sim we used to play on? Was class that. We'd gan four players. Then make three of the other players just sell their best players to your main player while also selling all your shite players to the other three teams.

I think it was something imaginative like Soccer boss or something. We wasted some hours on that mate. Remember buying the same players everytime we played and saying Aldershot in silly voices alot. :lol:

I think it was something imaginative like Soccer boss or something. We wasted some hours on that mate. Remember buying the same players everytime we played and saying Aldershot in silly voices alot. :lol:

Aldershot 😂. Aye christ I remember that.

I actually found the name of the game on YouTube a few years back when I was stoned or pissed watching a C64 compilation video. Of course I forgot to note the name of the game but I don't think there was much on YouTube about that particular game.

I remember that you could increase your stadium capacity too but your crowds never really got much over 35,000 (pre Prem league).

maybe?

I think that was the last one I played before moving on from my spectrum. Very good game at the time, certainly a good step up from others I'd been playing

Can't remember what the shop was called at the time, but downstairs in what was Chartz/Volume on Crowtree Rd, I remember hearing the speech on this and thinking it was mindblowing :lol: And the graphics on Knight Lore on the speccy

Last edited:
Emlyn Hughes soccer was class, as was Microprose Soccer - 40 year ago jesus H Christ

aah, Microprose Soccer - play against any of the really good teams (Brazil, Germany, etc). Waste time until 10 seconds left then try for the run along the edge of the box and banana shot trick

happy days

:)

Emlyn Hughes soccer was class, as was Microprose Soccer - 40 year ago jesus H Christ
Microprose soccer man. I've ploughed 100s of hours into Flight Simulator and I reckon it doesn't touch the sides of how much time I spent on that.
aah, Microprose Soccer - play against any of the really good teams (Brazil, Germany, etc). Waste time until 10 seconds left then try for the run along the edge of the box and banana shot trick

happy days

:)
Exactly this. Get right on the touchline and bend it in like a Kazhri corner. :)

Still remember my Amstrad 6128.

You had to type "Run Disk" on the main screen to signal to the drive you wanted to load the game.

Came with football manager 2 and gauntlet

Last edited:
10 Print "SAFC is cool"
20 GOTO 10
Run

Happy days

Or, in Woolies/ Dixons/ whatever....

10 Print "*insert mate's name* is a nonce"
20 GOTO 10
Run

When my cousin got hers I was given her Vic 20 as a hand me down.

Remember being chuffed to bits when I managed to put all of the commands in to load a game properly and ran into my mam's bedroom to announce it. Got put through the wall for waking her up at 7am on a Sunday.

Back