Combined Ashes XI

TheRey

Winger
Saw it on the Beeb, and for a bit of fun, I thought I'd see what the SMB thinks.

The way I'd go:

1. Burns - only opener who's looked anywhere near competent during the series
2. Denley - aside from Burns, outperformed any other player who's opened the batting
3. Labuschagne - think he's looked a very good player.
4. - Smith. Gotta have him at 4; he's just been a run machine.
5 - Root. Hasn't quite fired, but still been the "best of the rest", so to speak. Got him at 5 as I don't think he's suited to 3, but you can't dislodge Smith from the place where he's absolutely battered England.
6 - Stokes.
7. Buttler (WK) - Paine, IMO, has had a poor series; Jos hasn't been brilliant but outperformed the other 2 WKs IMO. (interesting stat, too - since coming back into the side, only Root has faced more balls than Jos, and he has got a higher average and more 50s than any other batman)
Yes I know he's not kept, but I'm having him.
8. Hazelwood - just, just keeps out Jofra. I think their bowlers have outperformed ours, and that's the sole reason he sneaks it over Jof.
9. Cummings - tremendous bowler this lad. None better IMO
10. Leach. Tight, but apart from the first Test, Lyon has been naff - Leachy hasn't pulled up trees, but has been consistent and he's also not a c*nt!
11. Broady - been absolutely excellent.

12th man: Jofra.

No ball Cummins. Similar to Willis but they appear to have said we can’t be arsed to call him. Only when a wicket falls. He bowls at least two no balls uncalled every over

You can't have Leach over Archer like.. Bowlers are there to take wickets and archer has done this as good as any of the bowlers in this series. I'm aware this means no spinners in this combined 11. But does it really matter?

You can't have Leach over Archer like.. Bowlers are there to take wickets and archer has done this as good as any of the bowlers in this series. I'm aware this means no spinners in this combined 11. But does it really matter?
You could say root and smith in his eleven, could cover the ten overs max the spinners would bowl, if archer was in as well

Saw it on the Beeb, and for a bit of fun, I thought I'd see what the SMB thinks.

The way I'd go:

2. Denley - aside from Burns, outperformed any other player who's opened the batting
5 - Root. Hasn't quite fired, but still been the "best of the rest", so to speak. Got him at 5 as I don't think he's suited to 3, but you can't dislodge Smith from the place where he's absolutely battered England.
6 - Stokes.
7. Buttler (WK) - Paine, IMO, has had a poor series; Jos hasn't been brilliant but outperformed the other 2 WKs IMO. (interesting stat, too - since coming back into the side, only Root has faced more balls than Jos, and he has got a higher average and more 50s than any other batman)
8. Hazelwood - just, just keeps out Jofra. I think their bowlers have outperformed ours, and that's the sole reason he sneaks it over Jof.
10. Leach. Tight, but apart from the first Test, Lyon has been naff - Leachy hasn't pulled up trees, but has been consistent and he's also not a c*nt!

Good shout apart from Leach before Lyon and would have Archer over the pair of them

Last edited:

The way I'd go:

6 - Stokes.

Broad has bowled well but the fact is that Jof, Cummings and Hazelwood are averaging 20s and Stuart is on 26. Harsh for sure, but I think he probably just missed out to Hazelwood for me as the series best line bowler.

I think putting Leach over Lyon is an eccentrically partisan choice too and, if we're going to pick keepers who haven't actually kept all series then you surely have to go with Wade who has hit more centuries this series than Buttler has in his entire red ball career iirc.

Last edited:
Yep Broad averaged 26.65 this series. 23 wickets with a 3.49 economy.

Archer averaged 20.17. 22 wickets with a 2.85 economy.

He also played one less test so I would say Jofra had an even better series than Broad did.

Broad has bowled well but the fact is that Jof, Cummings and Hazelwood are averaging 20s and Stuart is on 26. Harsh for sure, but I think he probably just missed out to Hazelwood for me as the series best line bowler.

I think putting Leach over Lyon is an eccentrically partisan choice too and, if we're going to pick keepers who haven't actually kept all series then you surely have to go with Wade who has hit more centuries this series than Buttler has in his entire red ball career iirc.
I totally forgot Wade was a keeper to be honest with you! Yeah he replaces Jos.

Back