Colly Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
he will be a big miss to the dressing room, on the feild and also with the bat. England will need to find someone who can really grit it out when we are in trouble like he did on a number of occassions.

He has set alot of standards for the test team in the feild and with his fitness and determination.

Get this Test match won then onto a successful world cup.

well done Colly one of very few people who can say they made the most of their talent they were given.

goes beyond that IMO, one of very very few who consistently punched far and above their talent set, he was shown everyone in cricket what can be achieved with hard work and grit ,rather than god given talent

Collys statement -

"Representing England has always been a dream of mine and I've been fortunate enough to have enjoyed some amazing highs throughout my Test career. I'm proud of the fact that I've always given my all for England but I feel that this is the right time to leave Test cricket having reached some very special achievements, none more satisfying that retaining the Ashes in Australia. I also feel now is the time to ensure some of the younger players are given an opportunity as we have a wealth of talent pushing for places. I still feel I have a huge amount to offer in terms of limited overs cricket and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to continue leading the Twenty20 squad and playing a significant role in England's ODI team."

sniffle, sniffle, what a guy

funny story, I took my fatha-in-law for a golf day at Slaley for his 50th birthday and PC was waiting at the first tea box, waiving us on because he was late, the fatha-in-law hates cricket like, and I slightly star-struck said 'thats Collingwood, hes captain of the England cricket team' he walks over with his hand held out to him 'alright Collin'

Last edited:
very sad, but thanks for the memories Colly.
Despite not being from or living in the North East, he gives the NE a good name, in terms of how he conducts himself, his professionalism and dedication. He had limited ability but pushed himself to make the best of what he did have. His 200 odd at Adelaide is the greatest innings by an Englishman since Gooch 333 against India IMO

who'd have thought we'd have seen Durham rising to the top of domestic cricket and England being a force to be reckoned with home and away with a County Durham lad at the thick of it all ? if any of us had seen the script we'd have dismissed it as fantasy - take a bow Colly lad

sniffle, sniffle, what a guy

funny story, I took my fatha-in-law for a golf day at Slaley for his 50th birthday and PC was waiting at the first tea box, waiving us on because he was late, the fatha-in-law hates cricket like, and I slightly star-struck said 'thats Collingwood, hes captain of the England cricket team' he walks over with his hand held out to him 'alright Collin'

:lol:

Not a massive cree-kit fan but what I noticed about Collingwood is that he's more of an Australian style cricketer than an English one.

When he got into the test squad it seemed that it introduced a new mentality and made England a much tougher proposition.

Easily the best fielder England have had for 20 years. Whatever his test match average finished at you can add another 20 runs on per innings to reflect the runs he saved fielding in a variety of positions not to mention some truly breathtaking catches.

Hope he gets a full season in for DCCC next season, he will be a massive asset to our often frail top order.

That is of course he continues playing for us... do DCCC automatically take over his contract? can DCCC afford to pay him what the ECB have been paying him?

As other4s have said, the bloke has consistently punched above his weight and wrung out every drop of his talent and added to it by sheer hard work and determination.

To bow out on that stage and the manner in which he did it shows the class of the guy.

It's also really good to hear the plaudits he's getting from real top quality cricketers (fuck irani).

who'd have thought we'd have seen Durham rising to the top of domestic cricket and England being a force to be reckoned with home and away with a County Durham lad at the thick of it all ? if any of us had seen the script we'd have dismissed it as fantasy - take a bow Colly lad

even better was that he is also SAFC daft and was never shy about making it known

I remember when he took KP, Panasar, etc. to the Man Utd vs Sunderland match. (obviously trying to convert them). What a guy!

very sad, but thanks for the memories Colly.
Despite not being from or living in the North East, he gives the NE a good name, in terms of how he conducts himself, his professionalism and dedication. He had limited ability but pushed himself to make the best of what he did have. His 200 odd at Adelaide is the greatest innings by an Englishman since Gooch 333 against India IMO

Colly? :confused:

Easily the best fielder England have had for 20 years. Whatever his test match average finished at you can add another 20 runs on per innings to reflect the runs he saved fielding in a variety of positions not to mention some truly breathtaking catches.

Hope he gets a full season in for DCCC next season, he will be a massive asset to our often frail top order.

That is of course he continues playing for us... do DCCC automatically take over his contract? can DCCC afford to pay him what the ECB have been paying him?

FFS hes a millionaire who didnt expect to be in this position years ago when Durham were in the Minor League

he will be playin
Hes lookin forward to it

one of my sporting heroes, worked hard all of his career and never complained just got on with things. an average just above 40, 10 centuries, 5000+ runs 16 wickets plus catches, triple ashes winner and made ian bell the player he is today (if he hadnt been there in cape town with bell i dont think he would have made that defining innings).

great fielder, batsman, part time bowler, a great bloke and a mackem, i salute you colly for giving me some of my best cricketing moments

good time for him to go out, on top!

And all this talk about we (Durham) might not be able to afford his contract now he wont be centrally contracted, but he's still gonna be playing ODIs and captain the T20s so surely he will be given one of them incremental contracts which will mean we dont have to pay the full whack of his wages.

Colly started working on his fielding when he was a nipper, his Dad has to take loads of credit for those sessions at Shotley Bridge. Just shows what a bit of work can do. Was never a 'top class' bat, but carved a great career by being the hardest worker and the hardest competitor. Well done fella.

Colly will be back at Durham scoring buckets of runs, and getting into coaching with Killa and the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back