Cole Kitchen

Won't the south facing garden be a "front garden"? Fail to see anyone with a south facing back garden having people park outside of their house just for Coles. Who expects privacy sitting in their front garden FFS :lol: :lol::lol:

Has a valid(ish) point about the double yellows down near the front, although I'm not sure they need to be, but what the fuck is the rest of their complaint?
Yeah you can pick holes in the majority of that complaint to be fair.

Unless you live on a private road, or build a massive fuck off wall, you're highly unlikely to get privacy in a front garden
Unhealthy takeaway food is readily available during their hours of business
They live a stones throw from the beach, strangers will be parking in their street regardless.
There are a few B&Bs in the proximity. I assume having Coles there was seen as an added benefit to their customers. Sad that it has to go.

Let's have a mass stare!!!
I'm going to eat my sarnie and stare at his house.
29th will be their last day, sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:
Is there anywhere to complain about this?

I'm not even especially bothered about the decision itself (would love them to move further up the Riviera), but the reasons given are just laughably insulting.

Does this mean we wont see anymore takeaways or fast food places open that are somewhat near of schools? I'd get on board if they refused anymore applications for fastfood across the city as we have far too many.

Does shock me Sunderland council basically closing down a small business too.

There are a few B&Bs in the proximity. I assume having Coles there was seen as an added benefit to their customers. Sad that it has to go.

Let's have a mass stare!!!
I'm going to eat my sarnie and stare at his house.
This. Everyone drive to commence the eat n stare. I'm going to invite Pat Phelan.

"the opening hours from early in the morning facilitate theprovision of unhealthy takeaway food when it wouldn’t normally be available"

It's this comment that gets me too, as if there isn't a McDonalds 5 minutes up the road which is open 24 hours at a weekend :lol:
Fuckers don't open till 9 anyway! Always miffed me as I wanted to go after school run before going to office. For me Lah-tay.

Looks like the complainant has a valid point.
I wouldn't fancy having people parked outside my kip, nebbing away at my home whilst they are chomping on their bait.
Yes, we know, they sell expensive sarnies..
Is this when they are parked on the double yellow lines, and shouldn't be parked up there in the 1st place? 🤷‍♂️
There are no double yellows outside his house

Last edited:
They could grant the permission to the applicant on the basis that if the business changes hands then it would have to be reapplied for - I’ve had this happen to me from Sunderland Council

If SCC wanted it to happen it could be done

I didn’t know that if that’s true. I’m not a planning consultant or planning officer so can’t comment about granting permission to an applicant but was always under the impression it resides with the property, with a licence, where required, being with the applicant.

Just looked up that complaint. I'd assumed he was the house directly opposite the shop. But he's four doors down ffs. Might get the odd car parked in front. Which as a public road there's nowt he can complain about but christ it's only during the day. Privacy in the front garden of a terrace house? FFS.

Clearly just a bitter little man. Looks like he's complained about other developments in the area too.

Surely they could grant a permission to the individual(s) rather than the property itself?

Doesn't seem like too hard a job.

They've mentioned Greggs in their post. There are 4 or 5 in the city centre alone, and another half a dozen in the surrounding areas of Sunderland. But the council are worried a shop selling £8 breakfast sarnies will fuel obesity :lol:

An absolutely bonkers decision.

Sexymuffin seems to think you can so assume I am wrong.

Other consideration will be when the change of use is applied? I’m sure I read that the cllrs lobbied to put in place this fastfood / takeaway policy a few years ago and unfortunately they’ve hit the wrong timing. Presumably if they allow this then it could affect other applications near schools in the future?

It’s a massive shame as it’s a quality offer.

Back