CNN Poll shows Black and White British people are very far apart on how they view racism in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpshooter

Midfield
CNN poll shows what Black Britons have long known – from policing to politics, their country has failed them

London — The outpouring of pent-up frustration about racism in the United Kingdom caught many White people by surprise.

Who did not think the country had made big strides towards tolerance and equal opportunity over the past few decades?

Who was concerned that statues of slave traders still stood in towns and cities across the union?

Who questioned whether Black Lives Matter in Britain?

The answer: Many, many Black people, whose views of race and racism in the UK are profoundly different from those of most White people, according to a sweeping and exclusive new CNN/Savanta ComRes poll.

I have not been treated with respect by the police
Black - 49%
BAME (excluding black) - 31%
White - 26%

British police are institutionally racist
Black - 54%
BAME (excluding black) - 35%
White - 27%

I find statues depicting people involved in the slave trade or colonization offensive
Black - 66%
BAME (excluding black) - 46%
White - 30%

There is too little representation of Black people in films and television
Black - 67%
BAME (excluding black) - 49%
White - 27%

The Conservative Party is institutionally racist
Black - 58%
BAME (excluding black) - 45%
White - 39%

I do not trust the UK government that a Windrush type scandal would not happen again
Black - 55%
BAME (excluding black) - 38%
White - 39%

On the whole, the British Empire was a good thing
Black - 9%
BAME (excluding black) - 19%
White - 37%

What do people make of this? Is it surprising?
EDIT: Another one which I accidentally left out

BAME people have less opportunity to succeed professionally than White people in the UK
Black - 66%
BAME (excluding black) - 49%
White - 29%

Last edited:

Separating people via race for a poll isn’t really going to help with the ever-increasing divide.
I agree with your sentiment, but I think that these statistics are desperately needed in the UK. I came back to the UK about five years ago and was staggered by the visible racism here. I dared to mention that on here. Stupidly on my behalf. The barrage of abuse, threats, vilification and vitriol poured on me as a response was horrific. But the hard truth is that this is not a "Rainbow" country. It is very, very far from it. Casual racism is everywhere, it appalls me. Smug comments in the press are allowed, that amazes me. . . . and so on. In the end I killed my profile and opened this one. No doubt the hounds will now appear again and the same will happen. Black People are People.

I agree with your sentiment, but I think that these statistics are desperately needed in the UK. I came back to the UK about five years ago and was staggered by the visible racism here. I dared to mention that on here. Stupidly on my behalf. The barrage of abuse, threats, vilification and vitriol poured on me as a response was horrific. But the hard truth is that this is not a "Rainbow" country. It is very, very far from it. Casual racism is everywhere, it appalls me. Smug comments in the press are allowed, that amazes me. . . . and so on. In the end I killed my profile and opened this one. No doubt the hounds will now appear again and the same will happen. Black People are People.
Something tells me there's more to that story. Tell us who you used to be.

So an online survey conducted in the heat of the outrage of George Floyd when people are being directed to how they should think brought up these results, well bugger me.
And the results will be further used out of context to increase the divide.

Thank goodness there are still people like you, who haven't been "directed how to think" and can put us all straight on such matters.

The divide is increased, not by polls, but by the casual racism described by the OP. It's also made worse by 'deniers' like yourself.
I dont see this racism in our country or maybe i just dont look for it because to me racism isnt a thing, everyone is equal bad and good all ovber the world in every race

Could I ask whether you're a BAME person yourself? And if not, could I ask whether you've considered that that might have something to do with why racism "isn't a thing" in your life?

Last edited:
Could I ask whether you're a BAME person yourself? And if not, could I ask whether you've considered that that might have something to do with why racism "isn't a thing" in your life?
[/QUOTE]

Im what people would describe as white british i suppose

And no the reason racsim isnt a thing is because i dont consider it a thing, I treat everybody equal no matter what race they are and i would expect the same back

"There is too little representation of Black people in films and television"

This is a ridiculous assertion. It may have been correct a few years ago but today TV in particular vastly over-represents black people. When you consider that at the last census (2011) only 14% of our population is non-white, the percentage of black people on TV is massively over-proportionate. Yesterday all the reporters/correspondents who appeared on the BBC 6 o'clock news were BAME. Only the main news presenter, Fiona Bruce, was white. A massive proportion of our TV advertising seems to open with or at very least feature black people. In TV advertising land, most families are mixed-race. And as for pop music, if it were not for black artists the charts would not exist.

I think the problem is that the media companies are mainly based in London which gives them a twisted view of what the country really looks like. London has an incredible 44% black and ethnic population.

And no the reason racsim isnt a thing is because i dont consider it a thing, I treat everybody equal no matter what race they are and i would expect the same back

Just because you don’t consider it a thing doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

try not considering cancer a thing and see how you get on
No disrespect to the poster but CNN has a history of fake news and bullshit..
Does it?

Separating people via race for a poll isn’t really going to help with the ever-increasing divide.

That’s one of the things coming out of this for me, I’m not sure how old you are but we had a division that went from a black footballer being racially abused by his own fans in the 80’s to 5 black outfield players in a semi final of the 2018 World Cup for England.

Rather than get involved with the progress that has been made, we’re taking a step backwards and quite a bit of that is coming from the shit stirring mainstream media.

I saw something the other day when David Bowie had a go at MTV for a lack of black artists on their channel and read the comments to go with it.

I didn’t see much in the way of how 5 out of the 10 biggest earning artists in 2019 were black.

It all seems to be negativity and that is wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back