CMJ dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greavsie said:
Just been on 5 live. Another broadcasting legend off to the big commentary box in the sky RIP

Rip CMJ . His book " the spirit of cricket " is the best cricket book I have ever read .

How sad.

He had about 100 words dedicated to Greig in yesterday's Times and when I read the following I hoped it wasn't in relation to himself.

'It was probably for him a merciful release as the late stages of cancer are often hell on earth'

:-(

One of the few cricket writers and commentators who never played the game to a high standard but always spoke with knowledge, insight and authority. A sad loss to TMS.

RIP and condolences to friends and family.

some good stuff in The Times today, he used to write some great stuff for them

takes me back to afternoons as young sales rep skiving in a lay by with The Times and TMS on the radio :lol:

He complimented TMS superbly. While the others would talk about cakes or what sort of fancy dress was in the crowd, CMJ would be the man who told you exactly what the score was, who was bowling, who was facing, who was playing well or struggling, etc.

So clipped and polite when speaking, you sort of visualised him as the classic English gentleman.

He was also the one who never gave up hope in the Headingley test at the '81 Ashes, when he mentioned what a triumph it would be if Botham was still at the crease at close on the fourth day, with England more or less down and out at 135 for 7.

Despite not being a great cricketer, he was a great cricket man.

Last edited by a moderator:
He complimented TMS superbly. While the others would talk about cakes or what sort of fancy dress was in the crowd, CMJ would be the man who told you exactly what the score was, who was bowling, who was facing, who was playing well or struggling, etc.

So clipped and polite when speaking, you sort of visualised him as the classic English gentleman.

He was also the one who never gave up hope in the Headingley test at the '81 Ashes, when he mentioned what a triumph it would be if Botham was still at the crease at close on the fourth day, with England more or less down and out at 135 for 7.

Despite not being a great cricketer, he was a great cricket man.

This - I loved his voice, warm, comforting and quintessentially English.

RIP, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back