Club knockouts

Competitions in the 80s and 90s and beyond where local pubs and clubs use to put on competitions where pubs in the area would put teams in. Can remember watching many a game down Horden. Always seemed a good laugh. IIRC you weren't allowed to play for a team if you currently player club cricket. Any clubs on your area use to put them on?

Last edited:

Not quite the same but the team I used to play for had an annual friendly game against a local pub.

Was just an excuse for a piss up really. We used to bat first score about 160 to 200 but we always let them win. They would usually end up with 161 for 35 or something

Half the lads were rat arsed by the time they went out to bat

Competitions in the 80s and 90s and beyond where local pubs and clubs use to put on competitions where pubs in the area would put teams in. Can remember watching many a game down Horden. Always seemed a good laugh. IIRC you weren't allowed to play for a team if you currently player club cricket. Any clubs on your area use to put them on?

Remember standing in as a square leg umpire once, and giving some one not out after a run out appeal they were not happy at all

DAwdon ran one for years in the 60s & 70s between the different sections of the pit. I think we got a couple of players from it but it was a drinking game really.

I always headed up to represent the Stocksfield Badminton Club at the Tynedale competition. Did it as a favour for my work mate. I loved the short boundary!!!

My own club Murton staged them for a few years. Good fun watching the lads trying to catch a high ball!!

Back