Club cricket article

Status
Not open for further replies.

One thing I would say about the article is that cricket in state schools has never been a regular thing, certainly up here. My PE teacher played for Ushaw Moor and we didn't have a single lesson where we played cricket.

One thing I would say about the article is that cricket in state schools has never been a regular thing, certainly up here. My PE teacher played for Ushaw Moor and we didn't have a single lesson where we played cricket.

90s saw a hardball U11s sunderland schools league as well as a representative Sunderland schoolboy side

Less available at comp but we played cup competitions often with some long trips

My sense is that club cricket up here is faring better than many other parts of the country.

Outside the Asian communities it seems to have become an elite sport down South but still pretty normal up here. And All Stars should help going forward.

My sense is that club cricket up here is faring better than many other parts of the country.

Outside the Asian communities it seems to have become an elite sport down South but still pretty normal up here. And All Stars should help going forward.
All Stars is certainly helping mate.
Got over 100 of them at our club last night

I’ve been a PE teacher for 25 years. Our facilities were hopeless for cricket. We had a ECB application for a nets grant 15 years ago - they refused on the basis of our lighting in the sports hall was poor. I tried my best outside also with the ‘long grass cut short’ ..... The grounds man cut it short as he could. Kids loved it playing with a wind ball, but I couldn’t develop the game within school without the proper facilities.

Last edited:
90s saw a hardball U11s sunderland schools league as well as a representative Sunderland schoolboy side

Less available at comp but we played cup competitions often with some long trips

I played in a representative side about 90-91 I think.

Played agains the likes of kings tynemouth and RGS as well as some days away down Yorkshire. Not much at comprehensive level though

Sure i read somewhere that clubs get £5 out of each child’s subscription of £40

Bet a few start running their own equivalent programs in next years

I think a few clubs thought of this last year, particularly those already with thriving junior sections. However, I know there is an element of pressure from the cricket board to use the All Stars brand, especially when it comes to future funding.

I think a few clubs thought of this last year, particularly those already with thriving junior sections. However, I know there is an element of pressure from the cricket board to use the All Stars brand, especially when it comes to future funding.

That doesn’t surprise me on bit. We missee out on a grant last year for a womens loo. Sure all stars was on criteria along with girls cricket and 1 or 2 others

That doesn’t surprise me on bit. We missee out on a grant last year for a womens loo. Sure all stars was on criteria along with girls cricket and 1 or 2 others

Yeah, we have 50+ kids at training each week. When we saw it was 40 quid we were worried it would price them out, and we could do exactly the same for half the price. Would have made us a nice grand too.

Mind you the numbers seem to be up using the brand so it must be doing something right. The branded kit gimick seems to work.

Yeah, we have 50+ kids at training each week. When we saw it was 40 quid we were worried it would price them out, and we could do exactly the same for half the price. Would have made us a nice grand too.

Mind you the numbers seem to be up using the brand so it must be doing something right. The branded kit gimick seems to work.

Sometimes you have to try something new and diffrent to attract more people to the game with all other attractions nowadays.

Glad it seems to be doing that.

With the Allstars cricket you can get 2 x adults T20 season tickets for £20 each, so although £40 is a tad expensive if you were going to get yourself a T20 season ticket anyway its worth doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back