Cleaning out bird nest boxes in readiness for Spring

Cleaned 18 out today, hard work up and down the ladder holding on for grim life with a few higher up.

3 Owl boxes, one must have been occupied by a grey squirrel at some point this year.
Old Jackdaw nest in one.

3 Blue Tits and 3 Great Tits have used them in Spring. Surprise lifted a lid on one and a mouse jumped out the top and landed on my shoulder, made me nearly fall out the tree 😀

Nuthatch was getting distressed as nests in a tree next to one of the boxes. Always good to know they are still about.
Anyway get them cleaned and and ready for Spring. Decent tip a scattering of clean sawdust in them helps give them a natural feeling and boosts a potential occupation. They also use them this time of year for roosting.

Cracking population of wild birds around here and always feel a sense of pride helping them out.

Cleaned 18 out today, hard work up and down the ladder holding on for grim life with a few higher up.

3 Owl boxes, one must have been occupied by a grey squirrel at some point this year.
Old Jackdaw nest in one.

3 Blue Tits and 3 Great Tits have used them in Spring. Surprise lifted a lid on one and a mouse jumped out the top and landed on my shoulder, made me nearly fall out the tree 😀

Nuthatch was getting distressed as nests in a tree next to one of the boxes. Always good to know they are still about.
Anyway get them cleaned and and ready for Spring. Decent tip a scattering of clean sawdust in them helps give them a natural feeling and boosts a potential occupation. They also use them this time of year for roosting.

Cracking population of wild birds around here and always feel a sense of pride helping them out.
I thinking of putting a couple of bird boxes up, when's the best time to put them up ?

We've had good success with our owl boxes but we just leave them. Bird boxes at home all cleaned out and good to go next year. Hedgehog box refreshed and occupied so that will be cleaned out next year. Other box wasn't occupied so we've brought that in as we know the one we have visiting is in the other box
I thinking of putting a couple of bird boxes up, when's the best time to put them up ?
March/April

Now Mate a good time.
Tip - If you can direct the hole North Facing, boosts the chances of being taken 👍

Good News Mags won’t use them ;)
We've had good success with our owl boxes but we just leave them. Bird boxes at home all cleaned out and good to go next year. Hedgehog box refreshed and occupied so that will be cleaned out next year. Other box wasn't occupied so we've brought that in as we know the one we have visiting is in the other box

March/April

Sounds great Mate, Jackdaws leave them in such a state. Twigs and shit everywhere.
Prefer to get my boxes out and cleaned early.
A blue tit went inside one last week which is a good sign 🤞
OP has become one of those societal menace retirees. 18 pairs of birds now have to put together brand new nests in spring.

😂😂
These are Southern birds mate. Need a nice new clean box without mites.

Last edited:

Id put them up now. Birds will be looking to use them in the Spring but if you get them up now any local birds will get used to seeing them and if you’re lucky will start using them next year.

I put one up a few years ago but it took a couple of years before it was used. After that it was used each year

Now Mate a good time.
Tip - If you can direct the hole North Facing, boosts the chances of being taken 👍

Good News Mags won’t use them ;)

Sounds great Mate, Jackdaws leave them in such a state. Twigs and shit everywhere.
Prefer to get my boxes out and cleaned early.
A blue tit went inside one last week which is a good sign 🤞

😂😂
These are Southern birds mate. Need a nice new clean box without mites.

had one on the back wall for best part of 30yrs (not the same one, last replaced 10yrs ago) always cleaned out in November. Had Sparrows in it every year, sometimes 2 broods, but last 3 years empty. Get the cock birds sitting on top singing their hearts out but not nesting. Its West facing, cant do north as thats neighbours house.

Put a new one up high up on gable end about 5yrs ago, South facing. Theyll sit on that singing but not nest.

Back