Civil service loan between government departments

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatopreto

Winger
Anyone had any experience of moving between government departments on loan? I've got an email from my grade 7 stating I'll return from the loan in my newly promoted grade. However when I read the loan agreement it states:

"If the employee has been permanently promoted on or during the loan, when the employee returns, the home department will do its best to place the employee in a post at the grade to which the employee has been promoted, but it cannot guarantee that any post will be available workforce management procedures will be followed where there are no posts available"

Worst case scenario if there are no jobs at my newly promoted grade if/when I return to my old department, what will happen? Keep hearing different things from different people. There's quite a few people in the same position all potentially returning back at the same time. I'm hoping the assurances I got via email will be enough to keep my promotion.

Worst case scenario if there are no jobs at my newly promoted grade if/when I return to my old department, what will happen?
Your grade 7 will have find you something else at that grade, don't worry you wont be demoted in that situation but you may have to move to wherever the new job is. Just go for it.

It just means you might not go to your parent department but you will be fine.

Worry about it at the time, if you do a half decent job the department you are going to might want to keep you.

It just means you might not go to your parent department but you will be fine.

Worry about it at the time, if you do a half decent job the department you are going to might want to keep you.
Cheers hopefully I can stay where I am and make the loan permanent. If not then I'm happy to go back to my parent department or another department. As long as I don't go back to my old grade, couldn't stomach going back on the phones. It would be a bitter pill to swallow, even more so because I turned down a promotion with my parent department to be promoted elsewhere on loan because of the location.

Your grade 7 will have find you something else at that grade, don't worry you wont be demoted in that situation but you may have to move to wherever the new job is. Just go for it.
Hope so, I'm willing to travel. Used to commute to Longbenton every day from Washington for a very modest wage. Will do it again but would be gutted to be demoted

Just through civil service jobs website
If you've time served risk it for redundancy. Chances are you'll get another post at your new grade. I'm doing management of change with my current organisation and they do all they can to keep you. It's cheaper than replacing you later on. Civil service so vast they should find something for you (unless as others stated your crap;))

Didn't know such a thing existed. Is it just on the civil service jobs website or somewhere internal?

Civil Service. If you read job advert it usually says if you're already in the civil service you may need to negotiate a loan with current department (I think it normally has a duration like 2 years for example for the post) if you don't want to end up potentially out of a job once the 2 years are up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back