Civil Partnerships for different sex couples.

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
Just been reading about the couple who’ve campaigned for Civil Partnerships between hetero couples (as opposed to marriage) and have just completed the ceremony.

I don’t get it.

I don’t understand why they didn’t just get married in a civil ceremony.

can anyone explain? What are the practical differences?

Attention seekers in a nutshell
Less people turn up so the “do” is cheaper?

These cretins spell it "doo" but aye. Probably have a combined hen / stag too...

Last edited:

Just been reading about the couple who’ve campaigned for Civil Partnerships betweenouples hetero c (as opposed to marriage) and have just completed the ceremony.

I don’t get it.

dirty bastards .

You can have a non-religious civil wedding so I really don’t see why you’d need a civil partnership unless I’m missing something.
I think it's about equality. Both in the relationship and the principal that gays people could but they couldn't.
I a bit surprised that when the law changed to allow civil partnership that it didn't apply to everyone and not just same sex

Just been reading about the couple who’ve campaigned for Civil Partnerships between hetero couples (as opposed to marriage) and have just completed the ceremony.

I don’t get it.

marriage is a bad idea for most people, this gives us normal civil partnership laws and rights, same as the gay community.

Its a great advance, equality for the hetero's

marriage is a bad idea for most people, this gives us normal civil partnership laws and rights, same as the gay community.

Its a great advance, equality for the hetero's

In what way is marriage a bad idea for ‘most people’ and in what way do ‘normal civil partnership laws and rights’ differ from those afforded to married people - gay or straight?

I think it's about equality. Both in the relationship and the principal that gays people could but they couldn't.
I a bit surprised that when the law changed to allow civil partnership that it didn't apply to everyone and not just same sex

if I recall correctly ‘civil partnership’ was a legal arrangement that was available to gay people - and made so because marriage wasn’t perceived as an option at the time.
Now that marriage is possible for gay people I don’t understand the distinction. I’m happy to be enlightened as to the practical differences. I’m not making a point here: I’m seeking opinion. And nobody yet has given me any understanding of why there’s such a huge difference between marriage and civil partnership apart from what it’s called. The only things mentioned are that the woman doesn’t have to change their name, and the vows can be amended - both of which are options in marriage iirc.
It might be because the bloke doesn’t want to wear a wedding ring and look a Wally.

another option available in marriage.
we dont have to get married, whats not to like?

if I could understand that response I’m sure I’d agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of people dont agree with marriage as an institution, now we have the same equal rights as the gay population to do civil partnership

Thanks. I understand what you were saying now. Sorry.

What’s the practical difference between ‘the institution of marriage’ in a modern context and a civil partnership?

I may just have to google it. :)

Thanks. I understand what you were saying now. Sorry.

What’s the practical difference between ‘the institution of marriage’ in a modern context and a civil partnership?

I may just have to google it. :)

People just dont want to get married, its abhorrent to them, if they have the same rights its a good thing.

People just dont want to get married, its abhorrent to them, if they have the same rights its a good thing.

Well I just chanced upon this article and a quick glance tells me that there’s not a huge difference except it’s not possible to annul a civil partnership. So fewer rights.

What Is A Civil Partnership And How Is It Different From Getting Married?

Edit: “People just don’t want to get married”? Well 250,000 straight couples were married in 2019. So not all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

But theyre essentially the same thing.

If you dont want the big do, then just rock up to the registry office with a witness & sign the legal docs. Which is essentially what you'd be doing with a civil partnership.

Back