Cities Skyline 2

coyneeee

Winger
Initially mixed views due to extreme optimisation issues but they've started rolling out the patches to fix that so I only care about the gameplay now.

It's also available on Game Pass.

For me the biggest changes is the traffic AI so it no longer becomes Traffic Simulator. Buying resources from neighbouring cities (power, water etc) from Neighbouring cities makes the start so much easier not having to immediately put down an expensive and dirty power plant.

Initially mixed views due to extreme optimisation issues but they've started rolling out the patches to fix that so I only care about the gameplay now.

For me the biggest changes is the traffic AI so it no longer becomes Traffic Simulator. Buying resources from neighbouring cities (power, water etc) from Neighbouring cities makes the start so much easier not having to immediately put down an expensive and dirty power plant.
Just downloaded it, loved the first one. one of those games that you get completely immersed in and end up playing for hours on end. I think that's my afternoon/night sorted!
Just downloaded it, loved the first one. one of those games that you get completely immersed in and end up playing for hours on end. I think that's my afternoon/night sorted!
...not a good start. couldn't even get past the loading screen without the bloody thing crashing. think I'll wait for a couple patches to come out first

Last edited:

...not a good start. couldn't even get past the loading screen without the bloody thing crashing. think I'll wait for a couple patches to come out first

Yeah it's riddled with performance issues atm. Even the highest end computers are struggling when the city becomes populated. Like the reviews are saying the gameplay is really good but just riddled with other issues atm.

needs serious tweaking before anyone without top end gear will be able to play it without it looking like a slideshow.

I knew I shouldn't have bought it, but I did anyway and now I'm bored of it for the same reasons as the first game.

The gameplay loop just isn't very rewarding.

After initially getting going you are kind of just endlessly expanding for the sake of it, with infinite demand leaving you just placing more and more zoning with everything gradually becoming a mess.

I knew I shouldn't have bought it, but I did anyway and now I'm bored of it for the same reasons as the first game.

The gameplay loop just isn't very rewarding.

After initially getting going you are kind of just endlessly expanding for the sake of it, with infinite demand leaving you just placing more and more zoning with everything gradually becoming a mess.

Use your imagination! Create something from real life! Pick a City and use Google maps to guide you where to path things.

If your mindset is like, I'm gonna put down some housing, and then some shops, and then some factories and then some roads and repeat it's no different than playing The Sims really is it

Loved the first one. I’ve heard ppl saying that 2 isn’t as good as a modded v1 tho. Would you agree? Reckon I’ll buy it one day once the mods are up to scratch.

What’s the traffic situation like on this one? It absolutely spoilt the last one.

Good game but so many silly little things ruined the last one for me

Loved the first one. I’ve heard ppl saying that 2 isn’t as good as a modded v1 tho. Would you agree? Reckon I’ll buy it one day once the mods are up to scratch.

Always the same games like this, crap until the mods come out.

Sim City 4 is still the best city builder game, would love a remaster or a new version of it. Much prefer a grid builder and the whole physics behind the scene was better aswell.

Always the same games like this, crap until the mods come out.

Sim City 4 is still the best city builder game

Is it fuck it's not even top 3 man :D Microtransactioned riddled garbage

Sim City 3000
Cities 1
Cities 2

Sim City 3000 was so good, all the changes in Cities 2 are from that game.

Last edited:
Is it fuck it's not even top 3 man :D Microtransactioned riddled garbage

Sim City 3000
Cities 1
Cities 2

Nah that's what makes it good imo. The progress of having to actually make an area good with good services etc to get a skyscraper to build, something to play for and having to keep it good or everyone will move out. Not to mention stuff like crime and wealth actually having a purpose.

Haven't touched the new one yet as it's broken but Cities Skylines 1 is a traffic simulator and there's no real challenge to it imo. Skyscrapers build pretty much straight away.

Obviously that depends on what you're after though, they're generally classed as different games (City Simulator - SC4 vs City Builder - CS). Most focus on the second.

Nah that's what makes it good imo. The progress of having to actually make an area good with good services etc to get a skyscraper to build, something to play for and having to keep it good or everyone will move out. Not to mention stuff like crime and wealth actually having a purpose.

Haven't touched the new one yet as it's broken but Cities Skylines 1 is a traffic simulator and there's no real challenge to it imo. Skyscrapers build pretty much straight away.

Obviously that depends on what you're after though, they're generally classed as different games (City Simulator - SC4 vs City Builder - CS). Most focus on the second.

What having to pay real money for ingame items makes it good? Wtf

Think you've got the game mixed up, there's no microtransactions in Sim City 4 like, it's 20 year old?

The last 1 they did which made them get rid of the Sim City franchise altogether it was that bad.

It still doesn't beat Sim City 3000. That game was light years ahead of itself, it only stopping being a thing when Windows XP games couldn't run on Windows 7 and upwards.

The last 1 they did which made them get rid of the Sim City franchise altogether it was that bad.

It still doesn't beat Sim City 3000. That game was light years ahead of itself, it only stopping being a thing when Windows XP games couldn't run on Windows 7 and upwards.

Ah that thing was a mess, that was the 5th one though.

3000 was alright though tbf

What’s the traffic situation like on this one? It absolutely spoilt the last one.

Good game but so many silly little things ruined the last one for me

The thing that got me in the last one is the population to services ratio. I had about 3 universities and a dozen hospitals in a town that had a population of 20k and was in constant debt. I put elevated trams in to alleviate traffic jams and no one used them. I had underground and bus routes in densely populated areas going to offices and industrial areas which no one used. The only way I saw someone on youtube combat the traffic issue was they made an entire city in 8x8 blocks (I think), 1 block of residential, one block of commercial and one block of industrial, repeat across the entire map.

For all the criticism the game's gotten for its launch the new import/export system and rent system have gotten massive praises.

Import/export is basically linking your rail or harbour to another city, industrial workers will come and collect it and take it to the commerical properties - Sets new challenges in regards to traffic management as the last thing you want is an absolute legion of industrial trucks running through your commercial district causing absolute havoc with the traffic.

Rent is literally every building costs rent and if the people living there are uneducated workers living in a mansion the entire neighbourhood are gonnna eventually get evicted and the neighbourhood falls apart - Too many luxuries like landmarks and parks is very bad basically.

Last edited:

Back