Chip Shop Tuesday - Christmas Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackemBob

Striker
A first for the SMB: Chip Shop Tuesday - Christmas Special.

Having seen the charity supporting deep fried Christmas Dinner offered up by the Dunkeld Fish Bar, I took one for the team and gave it a try. The 140 mile round trip was a bit daunting, but having tasted the made to order bait, I can say it was worth it.

Turkey Goujons, Battered Sprouts, crispy glazed carrots, parsnip fritters, a foot long pig in blanket and chips all for £10 with the money going to charity.

I was a bit sceptical about the veg being deep fried, but it turned out that they were the highlight of the whole meal, parsnips and carrots sweet and crispy and the sprouts were cooked to perfection in lovely crispy jackets. No whiff of manky sprouts here.

The turkey itself was moist and juicy. So much so, I would have sworn it was a giant chicken. The one let down for me was the quality of the sausage in the pig in blanket; definitely a catering one stuffed with risk instead of delicious snouts and entrails. Other than that, the chips were excellent and the charity benefitted.

Portion size was excellent, if anything a little too big, but better that than too small.

All in a solid 8/10 from me.

Logon or register to see this image

Having seen the charity supporting deep fried Christmas Dinner offered up by the Dunkeld Fish Bar, I took one for the team and gave it a try. The 140 mile round trip was a bit daunting, but having tasted the made to order bait, I can say it was worth it.

Turkey Goujons, Battered Sprouts, crispy glazed carrots, parsnip fritters, a foot long pig in blanket and chips all for £10 with the money going to charity.

I was a bit sceptical about the veg being deep fried, but it turned out that they were the highlight of the whole meal, parsnips and carrots sweet and crispy and the sprouts were cooked to perfection in lovely crispy jackets. No whiff of manky sprouts here.

The turkey itself was moist and juicy. So much so, I would have sworn it was a giant chicken. The one let down for me was the quality of the sausage in the pig in blanket; definitely a catering one stuffed with risk instead of delicious snouts and entrails. Other than that, the chips were excellent and the charity benefitted.

Portion size was excellent, if anything a little too big, but better that than too small.

Condiments?

Wrang ‘un.

But was it piping hot...?
Aye. Straight from the fryer.

:lol::lol:

I’m beginning to like the idea of battered sprouts and would think battered turkey would be canny as well
Battering both of those, counteracted the main problems faced when cooking them: turkey can be dry, sprouts can easily be over done. The battering and quick drying of both did them a great service. Would happily do tempura sprouts and turkey goujons again, but would avoid the latter for the main event on the 25th.

Last edited:

Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back