China at it again

FP is owned by the Slate Group, and in turn this is the online-only arm of the Washington Post. So other than having an American slant on world events, it's centre left and reasonably apolitical so certainly couldn't dismiss the story outright as spin.

The article is behind a paywalI so can't comment specifically but the fact that it's connected with the Washington Post doesn't automatically give it credence. WaPo has been guilty many times of regurgitating information from its "sources" that has later been discovered to be untrue and misleading. That's not to say it knowingly lies, only that it can be just as negligent on fact checking as companies like MSNBC and Fox.

The article is behind a paywalI so can't comment specifically but the fact that it's connected with the Washington Post doesn't automatically give it credence. WaPo has been guilty many times of regurgitating information from its "sources" that has later been discovered to be untrue and misleading. That's not to say it knowingly lies, only that it can be just as negligent on fact checking as companies like MSNBC and Fox.

Wasn't for me, a subscription option came up fullscreen but when I closed it, the article was there. Thanks for the update on credibility though, I naively only went for their political leaning thinking they were one of the reliable outlets :oops:

Is that something I have done? I just saw the article on Google, then copied and pasted it because it seemed decent. I don't subscribe or nothing like that.

Is that something I have done? I just saw the article on Google, then copied and pasted it because it seemed decent. I don't subscribe or nothing like that.

No mate. It could be that I've had my allowance - I've read a few FP articles in the last month or so and can't access them anymore.

Wasn't for me, a subscription option came up fullscreen but when I closed it, the article was there. Thanks for the update on credibility though, I naively only went for their political leaning thinking they were one of the reliable outlets :oops:

I've managed to get access to the article, it's mostly the same old pap we've had put in front us since a few months after it hit here. If you follow the links to the "evidence" you'll see they either don't back up the accusations, in some cases contradict them and sometimes don't have any bearing on its premise. Some of the many unsubstantiated assertions are blatantly false, especially around WHO advice which always stressed there were few certainties with it being a new strain and asked countries to make sure they were prepared for a pandemic before they had confirmation of how virulent it was. Most of the reported 'wrong predictions' are down to bad press explanations and people misrepresenting the data and modelling for political reasons

The latest WHO investigation lasted a couple of months and attempted to find the source of the virus (it took years to find the bats with SARS) and even that is being misrepresented as an investigation into China and therefore a cover up because no conclusive evidence was found. Maybe they don't like the possibility that it originated outside of China which must remain a consideration.

We're going to have to teach our kids critical thinking at an early age so they can push back against this kind of propaganda or they'll end up with nothing to trust.

I've managed to get access to the article, it's mostly the same old pap we've had put in front us since a few months after it hit here. If you follow the links to the "evidence" you'll see they either don't back up the accusations, in some cases contradict them and sometimes don't have any bearing on its premise. Some of the many unsubstantiated assertions are blatantly false, especially around WHO advice which always stressed there were few certainties with it being a new strain and asked countries to make sure they were prepared for a pandemic before they had confirmation of how virulent it was. Most of the reported 'wrong predictions' are down to bad press explanations and people misrepresenting the data and modelling for political reasons

The latest WHO investigation lasted a couple of months and attempted to find the source of the virus (it took years to find the bats with SARS) and even that is being misrepresented as an investigation into China and therefore a cover up because no conclusive evidence was found. Maybe they don't like the possibility that it originated outside of China which must remain a consideration.

We're going to have to teach our kids critical thinking at an early age so they can push back against this kind of propaganda or they'll end up with nothing to trust.

This I why I love the smb, every comment and article gets a savagely robust peer review like nowhere else.

Thanks for the info.

Great post mate, I'm very concerned at the convergence of spin onto outright fake news and misinformation. Gone are the days when 'reputable' journalists only published with two independent verifiable sources.

Theres enough evidence out there already to condem the CCP for their actions upon initial outbreak. Particularly from inside the WHO leaked phonecalls pleading to some half arsed general about sending relevant data to the WHO so they can access it. You would be a fool to believe anything the CCP come out with. It would be like someone questioning if hitler really was a naughty boy.

Back