Check your smart meters now!

Smart meters are a con, its just meant to help energy companies get rid of meter readers, half of them dont work and are not compatible with different suppliers, I wonder if any Government ministers were involved with companies who were pushing this.

I try to explain it to our lass (No) I am our smart meter, "Turn the light off and shut the f***ing door!"
Why?
He never bothered to check his bills for 4 years.
Why would he with a "Smart" meter? I have been in my house for roughly 1 year, new build, it has smart meters, they cant read it, but they want me to do it, fuck them, get a meter reader around to sort it

Last edited:

Smart meters are a con, its just meant to help energy companies get rid of meter readers, half of them dont work and are not compatible with different suppliers, I wonder if any Government ministers were involved with companies who were pushing this.

I try to explain it to our lass (No) I am our smart meter, "Turn the light off and shut the f***ing door!"

Why would he with a "Smart" meter? I have been in my house for roughly 1 year, new build, it has smart meters, they cant read it, but they want me to do it, fuck them, get a meter reader around to sort it

You still get bills to look at, perhaps you’re not smart either. ;)

IIRC meter readers were the bane of the energy companies. To book a reading date you had to book 2 if both meters were to be read. one for gas and then again one for electricity. Sometimes the meter reader would not turn up and that was a minimum cost of £20 paid to the customer. to book a meter reading there was about 82 steps. so for both fuels that is 2 x 82. time between readings is also in question as a meter should be inspected every 2 years re safety issues. Often meter readers would not disclose their reading to the householder. problem is, that due to the way the whole system is set up, these individual companies rule the roost and the energy company is at the mercy of these people.

Last edited:
Hello Joe, concentrating on the footy now. You keep spouting your drivel. If you want any advice on energy bills, send me a pm

Hello Wayne,
This is your energy supplier, your direct debit payments are now increasing to £854 per month.
We found out on a football forum that you have no idea what your usage is and will keep on refraining from sending you any bills for the foreseeable future.

Regards
The Christmas party champagne buyer.

if you love smart meters so much why don’t you get one?

I’ll not touch one until it’s absolutely forced upon me - it’s not the tech I don’t trust but the installers and suppliers

Due to the location of the meters they cannot fit one.

A smart meter isn’t going to reduce or increase your consumption, it will make you more aware of what you are using it will though send reads to your supplier which will result in more accurate bills.

For example, I’ve seen an elderly lady have estimated bills for nearly 3 years (shouldn’t happen but unfortunately it does) when we finally got a reading then amended her billing she ended up white abit in credit, on the flip side, I’m getting underestimated so I know when I finally crawl my arse through the loft hatch and give a reading I will end up them quite abit.

Not a woosh, just some further mind-blowing evidence I've now uncovered! (A big thanks to @Snugster)
  1. Both my SMETS1 meters don't work, the gas one is dead and the electric one is reading 000.00 Kw/Hr (after following the instructions for the make and model to obtain the current usage readings)
  2. My billing cycle is all over the place, from monthly, bi-monthly, 6 monthly and quarterly, in no apparent order.
  3. When I was a contracting at Nissan and working an average of 6 days a week, my bill was £1978 for 6 months, this was before the pandemic and I was barely in the house. 5 times my bill from the previous year. with Scottish Power. They also billed me twice in this period, @£1280 for Aug-April and another £700 for 2 months Nov-Feb in addition.
  4. My bill for the Nov-Feb in 2019 was £542.83 gas, £164.84 electric. My bill in 2020 for the exact same period was £542.21 gas, £163.84 electric. As mentioned above in 2019 I was barely at home, yet a year later during lockdown I was at home all the time. Compare them, reckon they are making this up and fudging last years numbers?!

Not a woosh, just some further mind-blowing evidence I've now uncovered! (A big thanks to @Snugster)
  1. Both my SMETS1 meters don't work, the gas one is dead and the electric one is reading 000.00 Kw/Hr (after following the instructions for the make and model to obtain the current usage readings)
  2. My billing cycle is all over the place, from monthly, bi-monthly, 6 monthly and quarterly, in no apparent order.
  3. When I was a contracting at Nissan and working an average of 6 days a week, my bill was £1978 for 6 months, this was before the pandemic and I was barely in the house. 5 times my bill from the previous year. with Scottish Power. They also billed me twice in this period, @£1280 for Aug-April and another £700 for 2 months Nov-Feb in addition.
  4. My bill for the Nov-Feb in 2019 was £542.83 gas, £164.84 electric. My bill in 2020 for the exact same period was £542.21 gas, £163.84 electric. As mentioned above in 2019 I was barely at home, yet a year later during lockdown I was at home all the time. Compare them, reckon they are making this up and fudging last years numbers?!
That's mad that your billing is all over mate did you by any chance change tariff around them times? The fact your smart meters are not even registering nothing so possibly need them changed. Could you possibly say your not working away at the minute and whack your DD down cos they can't even get a reading when they do eventually change them so you won't get a massive catch up bill.

That's mad that your billing is all over mate did you by any chance change tariff around them times? The fact your smart meters are not even registering nothing so possibly need them changed. Could you possibly say your not working away at the minute and whack your DD down cos they can't even get a reading when they do eventually change them so you won't get a massive catch up bill.
Nope I've been on the same tariff from the beginning with Octopus and I've got plenty of evidence when I was working, where and when. None of their charges correlate in line with my circumstances; I was working away in Devon and then Scotland for 3 weeks last October, then at home all November, but my November bill is the practically same as Octobers (and the tariff exactly the same). They've been making this up since the beginning, should be a very interesting conversation I'll be having with them tomorrow! They've already said it's a cross-metering issue, a polite way of saying they've been lying to me all along.

you will need to try and go back and find when your account shows some actual readings.

normally on the new meters there are labels attached to state when the meter was exchanged and the reading of old meter and new meter

I'm moving house this week and dreading signing up with a new energy supplier, I'm also not sure if the new house has smart meters installed. Just searched and the current supplier is British Gas.

I'm not using them like, who do people recommend at the moment? I was with Scottish power in the old place

I'm moving house this week and dreading signing up with a new energy supplier, I'm also not sure if the new house has smart meters installed. Just searched and the current supplier is British Gas.

I'm not using them like, who do people recommend at the moment? I was with Scottish power in the old place

Don’t sign up just wait for a bill to land.

Back