Check your smart meters now!

I'm moving house this week and dreading signing up with a new energy supplier, I'm also not sure if the new house has smart meters installed. Just searched and the current supplier is British Gas.

I'm not using them like, who do people recommend at the moment? I was with Scottish power in the old place
You can take whatever tariff you were on to your new house mate if your happier with the tariff with Scottish power

Last edited:
Are you that time traveller off Facebook. :lol:
yes mate I refuse to leave the 20th century. From what I gather the 21st has been wank and is getting worse

On a serious note I work away a lot and don't watch the news. I'm aware that we are all being screwed with our trousers on mind

yes mate I refuse to leave the 20th century. From what I gather the 21st has been wank and is getting worse

On a serious note I work away a lot and don't watch the news. I'm aware that we are all being screwed with our trousers on mind

You are wise not watching the news, ignorance is bliss on that front.

you will need to try and go back and find when your account shows some actual readings.

normally on the new meters there are labels attached to state when the meter was exchanged and the reading of old meter and new meter
That's exactly what I'm doing, the final bill & readings with Scottish Power as it's their meters that are installed. I'm also estimating my own usage from that point using the RPI price index from the ONS which shows when the price hikes occurred.

I'm moving house this week and dreading signing up with a new energy supplier, I'm also not sure if the new house has smart meters installed. Just searched and the current supplier is British Gas.

I'm not using them like, who do people recommend at the moment? I was with Scottish power in the old place
when you get the keys for the house, make sure you record the readings on the meters. photographs are good. do the same for the house you are leaving and inform both suppliers of the readings
That's exactly what I'm doing, the final bill & readings with Scottish Power as it's their meters that are installed. I'm also estimating my own usage from that point using the RPI price index from the ONS which shows when the price hikes occurred.
dont worry about trying to estimate your usage. It is not up to you to present a bill to yourself to pay. number of issues here anyway, so you may well over estimating and giving yourself a higher bill.

write to your present supplier and inform them you want to make a complaint and that should the complaint not be resolved with 64 days, you fully expect the complaint be forwarded to the ombudsman.

who ever supplied the smart meters should have ensured the smart meters were talking to them. they have obviously failed to do this. the energy company obviously authorised the new meters to go in and they failed to see the issue resolved.

I presume you presumed that because they were smart meters, there was no need to check

there are a number issues here and basically the energy company has failed to bill you. there are rules about this and not sure where you sit within these rules but it can be that you cannot be billed for more than 12 months (depends on circumstances).

ask for your complaint to be recorded as a complaint and that you request it be dealt with by the complaints team.

(complaints team, will know the time scale working to and have more authority than the ordinary clerk. they have strict guidelines if not resolved within 64 days (and they have guidelines in when to contact you) the complaint must be sent to the ombudsman. Irrespective of outcome it will cost the energy company £400 (it did when I worked them but was about 9 years ago now).

make your complaint very simple so easy to understand. bullet points are good and no waffling. explain you worked away a lot. Ideally the aim, would be to get you connected, with smart meters sending in reads. that way they can from now send you accurate bills. no shouting or swearing. be mr nice guy. make them want to call you.

from what you have said, there is not a scooby do chance of being able to bill to accurate reads. without a meter working, they cannot state what your energy usage is.
(dont know why the smart meters were to be installed, is there history recorded there. were they faulty for example).

Last edited:
when you get the keys for the house, make sure you record the readings on the meters. photographs are good. do the same for the house you are leaving and inform both suppliers of the readings

dont worry about trying to estimate your usage. It is not up to you to present a bill to yourself to pay. number of issues here anyway, so you may well over estimating and giving yourself a higher bill.

write to your present supplier and inform them you want to make a complaint and that should the complaint not be resolved with 64 days, you fully expect the complaint be forwarded to the ombudsman.

who ever supplied the smart meters should have ensured the smart meters were talking to them. they have obviously failed to do this. the energy company obviously authorised the new meters to go in and they failed to see the issue resolved.

I presume you presumed that because they were smart meters, there was no need to check

there are a number issues here and basically the energy company has failed to bill you. there are rules about this and not sure where you sit within these rules but it can be that you cannot be billed for more than 12 months (depends on circumstances).

ask for your complaint to be recorded as a complaint and that you request it be dealt with by the complaints team.

(complaints team, will know the time scale working to and have more authority than the ordinary clerk. they have strict guidelines if not resolved within 64 days (and they have guidelines in when to contact you) the complaint must be sent to the ombudsman. Irrespective of outcome it will cost the energy company £400 (it did when I worked them but was about 9 years ago now).

make your complaint very simple so easy to understand. bullet points are good and no waffling. explain you worked away a lot. Ideally the aim, would be to get you connected, with smart meters sending in reads. that way they can from now send you accurate bills. no shouting or swearing. be mr nice guy. make them want to call you.

from what you have said, there is not a scooby do chance of being able to bill to accurate reads. without a meter working, they cannot state what your energy usage is.
(dont know why the smart meters were to be installed, is there history recorded there. were they faulty for example).
Thanks for this mate, I think we're of similar minds and have listed exactly this on my email to them today. No swearing, all bullet pointed facts with photo's of the meters and evidence to back up my situation at the time. A few exclamation marks, but nothing nasty or threatening; I mentioned the ombudsman as well as my next port of call, which handily lists compensation amounts as well. I'll register an official complaint tomorrow, as well as writing directly to their CEO.

Everything spot on what you said but the only way they get out the billing thing (12 months) they will say we have even if it is estimates

Everything spot on what you said but the only way they get out the billing thing (12 months) they will say we have even if it is estimates
you may well be right. I would say the company has a duty to bill you correctly. Would be different if the householder refused to co-operate or hindered

you may well be right. I would say the company has a duty to bill you correctly. Would be different if the householder refused to co-operate or hindered
Totally agree mate but that's how they get out of it they say even an estimated bill is a bill it's disgusting and needs to change

Back