Channel 4 gone to sh*t?

Walter is for the most part brilliant. It’s what BBC2 used to be, the only comparison is now BBC4. A wife of a friend won’t watch anything presented by Walter as she can’t be bothered to read the subtitles😀. She can read I think but won’t.
I know how she feels. I can’t be arsed to read subtitles as I’m usually doing something else when the telly is on anyway.

It brought us some of the best comedies ever

Inbetweeners
Friday night dinner
It crowd
Father Ted to name a few

The channel 4 streaming is great too.. has loads of content
Don't forget it also brought us utter dross like Naked Attraction which is basically a freak show of weirdos with ugly bodies and saggy genitals.
Andrew Lawrence. He did a decent Radio 4 series some time ago. Can't remember what it was called. His career took a nosedive when he posted this on facebook about ten years ago.....

Can't help but notice increasingly, a lot 'political' comedians cracking cheap and easy gags about UKIP, to the extent that it's got hack, boring and lazy very quickly.

Particularly too much moronic, liberal back-slapping on panel shows like Mock The Week where aging, balding, fat men, ethnic comedians and women-posing-as-comedians, sit congratulating themselves on how enlightened they are about the fact that UKIP are ridiculous and pathetic.

Yet the Clacton by-election victory and what looks to be a likely victory in the Rochester by-election goes to show that UKIP have their supporters.

Out of touch, smug, superannuated, overpaid TV comics with their cosy lives in their west-London ivory towers taking a supercilious, moralising tone, pandering to the ever-creeping militant political correctness of the BBC with their frankly surreal diversity targets.

The reason UKIP have resonated with voters is because all the other parties are too spineless to tackle the issue of immigration.

Our elected representatives ceded control of the borders of this country to the EU and it's been catastrophic for us all, an unmitigated disaster. Nothing works. Public transport infrastructure is dysfunctional. Hospitals and Schools are dysfunctional. The housing crisis continues to blight our economic potential and destroy the hopes and dreams of a generation. The benefits system is totally out of control. All because there are far,far too many people living here.

For every wonderful, welcome skilled worker our open borders bring into this country, there are also benefit tourists and criminals. For every person that comes here and contributes richly to our culture, there are those that refuse to assimilate, which breeds distrust and has led to a fractured, broken society, where people have lost all sense of community.

Can't say that I'm a UKIP supporter, but I can see why other people are, and I don't disrespect them for it.
What I don't respect is lazy comedians, who market themselves as 'political' but rather than having the courage of their own convictions jump on the militant liberal bandwagon- which has been the source of so much shit stand-up over the years- so that they can get TV work and line their own pockets.

There is a deeply ingrained militant liberal politics at every level of the BBC, despite the fact that it's tax-payer funded and supposed to be neutral. It's a biased organisation and the only sorts of political comedians that are welcome within its corridors are those that reflect it's values.

Essentially when we're watching these 'political' comedians cracking their piss-poor UKIP gags on the BBC, I think we need to be aware they are neither engaged nor passionate about their subject- but money-grubbing charlatans, toadying up to the militant liberals that pay their wages, mirroring their own beliefs back at them in an act of false flattery so that they'll feel smug and validated and keep them on the BBC tax-payer funded gravy-train.

I'm not a political comic, my only ambition for my comedy is to make a room full of people laugh. But there are those that disingenuously market themselves as political comics, not out of any genuine conviction, but in an effort to line their own pockets, and I don't like their hypocrisy.
Can't see anything wrong with that analysis.

Last edited:
It brought us some of the best comedies ever

Inbetweeners
Friday night dinner
It crowd
Father Ted to name a few

The channel 4 streaming is great too.. has loads of content
Have recently rewatched Father Ted and Derry Girls. Channel 4 streaming is full of gems.
I watch a lot more on Channel Four than ITV.
Don’t really watch any ITV stuff. That said I don’t watch a huge amount of BBC or Channel 4 either, at least not much new stuff. This bloke seems to have seen he isn’t that talented and gone for a niche but lucrative gap in the market, ironically pretty much the same as a lot of the “ leftie’s” he rails against.

Last edited:
4OD is one of the best free streaming sites out there.

Some absolute classics on there, and I use it probably 3 or 4 times a week.

Quite like channel 4 and with film 4 etc there’s some decent content gets knocked out at times
but like most terrestrial channels the majority of output is going down the shiitter, so you end up with repetitive cloned shows

Walter is for the most part brilliant. It’s what BBC2 used to be, the only comparison is now BBC4. A wife of a friend won’t watch anything presented by Walter as she can’t be bothered to read the subtitles😀. She can read I think but won’t.
You're thinking of Walter Presents, the baldy gleggy fella, love most of them, except for the "look what you could have watched" tempter episodes.

I'm talking Walter with Ian McKellen, broadcast on C4's opening night in '82.

Big Boys was excellent but appears to have flown under a lot of people’s radars. I thought series 2 was even better than series 1!
I've just resumed watching it after being reminded by this thread, I'd only watched the first 2 episodes and ages ago.
Just finished series 1 tonight, it is excellent like.

Back