Changing / removing radiators - advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm getting two done this week so I'll let you know.

I didn't bother getting a formal quote as the guy has done loads of work for me and I know is good/reasonable, he just said it won't be that much so I'm expecting no more than £200-£300.
Plumber put 2 new rads on for me, changed the micro pipe to 15mm (from just below the floorboards) and charged me £50 a rad. I have bought those modern column ones and I had removed the old ones and put the new ones on the wall to save money.
close valves each end off rad .. Take off .. Job done 5 mins max
Put blanking caps on though if you're not putting another radiator straighten, the can leak past the valve.

Last edited:
Plumber put 2 new rads on for me, changed the micro pipe to 15mm (from just below the floorboards) and charged me £50 a rad. I have bought those modern column ones and I had removed the old ones and put the new ones on the wall to save money.

Put blanking caps on though if you're not putting another radiator straighten, the can leak past the valve.
Did you mean if you're not fitting another radiator straight away?
I didn't know you could get blanking caps. Do they screw onto the ends of the valves that go into the rad? That's worth knowing because I always remove rads when I decorate. They invariably leak so capping them will get rid of that problem.

as he wants a smaller radiator why not simply turn the thermostatic valve on the rad down a bit so it kicks out as much heat as a smaller one would,obviously spend the money saved on drink

as he wants a smaller radiator why not simply turn the thermostatic valve on the rad down a bit so it kicks out as much heat as a smaller one would,obviously spend the money saved on drink
May want one as the current rad maybe taking up too much space.

Think was £160 to change my radiator in room and that included new radiator and new thermostat valves+ pipe work

Did you mean if you're not fitting another radiator straight away?
I didn't know you could get blanking caps. Do they screw onto the ends of the valves that go into the rad? That's worth knowing because I always remove rads when I decorate. They invariably leak so capping them will get rid of that problem.

Yes, they're only about a quid each and are reusable. I use pfte tape as well just in case.

Don't forget ptfe tape on the screwthreads
Make sure you're not changing an imperial sized rad for a metric one - metric are smaller and you have to buy "extension tails" to make them fit (only if the pipe is fixed and is too much of a faff to move of course)
Make sure you wind the tape around the right way anarl otherwise it will just peel off

Reactions: PTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back