CC to start in August?

Keeping spectators socially distanced shouldn’t be a problem.
Normally yes but Cricket supporters will be desperate for some play if they can get it.
It’s not as though those who work have spunked their annual leave
Outdoor transmissions are rare and nearly all Cricket grounds in this country are large bowls with no roofs on them. Might be a good place to start when it comes to getting people back in stadiums.
I would think the powers that be would be leaning more towards the TV contract for play to go ahead as opposed to CC games

Last edited:
Normally yes but Cricket supporters will be desperate for some play if they can get it.
It’s not as though those who work have spunked their annual leave

I would think the powers that be would be leaning more towards the TV contract for play to go ahead as opposed to CC games

I know, I must admit my first thought was how appealing watching some CC in August would be. Damn shame that the counties probably won’t be able to capitalise on the extra interest.

Surprised they've gone straight past July, can only think they're ruling out behind closed door games (no income = nothing to pay the players, I assume clubs have furloughed players?) or they're worried about outside factors like where would a team be able to stay for a 4 day game.

Think any domestic cricket is highly unlikely. The internationals behind closed doors in "bio secure bubbles" are the best we can hope for

Think any domestic cricket is highly unlikely. The internationals behind closed doors in "bio secure bubbles" are the best we can hope for
Northants and Surrey are talking about playing in front of crowds. Average CC gate at the Riverside is less than 1000 with a 15000 capacity with coming and going very much staggered. Very easy to adhere to social distancing. Different story mind if Dominic Cummings decides to attend thoughđź‘Ž.

Last edited:
Northants and Surrey are talking about playing in front of crowds. Average CC gate at the Riverside is less than 1000 with a 15000 capacity with coming and going very much staggered. Very easy to adhere to social distancing. Different story mind if Dominic Cummings decides to attend thoughđź‘Ž.
Spose the concerns are toilet facilities etc where people can congregate. Also if it rains and everyone runs for cover.

Plus most County staff are retirees -;stewards, scorecard sellers, food staff etc. They're most at risk

I'd guess it's the same problem as non-league footie. No difficulty socially distancing around the ground, but for the clubs to make any money (even cover costs, never mind turn a profit) they have to be able to take money over the bar, sell burgers and teas, buy merchandise etc. Most of that typically happens indoors (increased transmission risk) and in (relatively) confined spaces. 500 people in 15,000 seats at the Riverside isn't a stress; 150 people watching Chester-le-Street Town play football isn't a risk. But 50 people in one bar at either venue almost certainly is. And if you close the bars, the clubs will run out of money.

I'd guess it's the same problem as non-league footie. No difficulty socially distancing around the ground, but for the clubs to make any money (even cover costs, never mind turn a profit) they have to be able to take money over the bar, sell burgers and teas, buy merchandise etc. Most of that typically happens indoors (increased transmission risk) and in (relatively) confined spaces. 500 people in 15,000 seats at the Riverside isn't a stress; 150 people watching Chester-le-Street Town play football isn't a risk. But 50 people in one bar at either venue almost certainly is. And if you close the bars, the clubs will run out of money.
You confirm to the restrictions that other retail outfits are following at present. Bar can't open but outdoor food outlets in the ground should be able to function. Members are far less likely to seek a refund on their membership of they've watched a few games.

Back