CC :: Essex v Durham

interesting point here re: captain in waiting.. i never really thought of scotty as a potential captain, obviously collingwood was here and did a terrific job, am i right in thinking whilst he (colly) was still here coggers captained the t20 side to try and get him ready as a potential captain, then he left then.. my memory is awful for this sort of stuff.. colly retired the same time? leaving us with bancroft, then eckersley and now borthwick, if i'm right?
Yeah Coggs was made captain of the T20 team in 2017 and Jennings was captain in the RL50 but of course they both left. The following season which was Colly's last one saw Tom Latham captaining the team in both limited overs formats.

Yeah Coggs was made captain of the T20 team in 2017 and Jennings was captain in the RL50 but of course they both left. The following season which was Colly's last one saw Tom Latham captaining the team in both limited overs formats.
Ah yeah, few little details I lost. Although, that would've been the year after Borthwick left, so questionable whether he would've been on their radar as a captain with jennings and Coggers still there, or maybe he'd have been in front of them in the pecking order

Well let's see what today brings. Essex 45 runs ahead with 4 wickets left - I've got a feeling that if we have to chase anything over 100 we may struggle.;)

Prove me wrong Durham and let's hope it turns out to be our best win in the championship for years.

It worked mate, he got into the England team and played all 5 tests in Australia, for a local lad in the north east, thats a pretty good career and something to live with I'd say

I dont think he got on that tour if he didnt go to Surrey personally, which is a shame.

You saying his aspiration was to play 11 tests then slide into journeyman obscurity hitting 20's for Surrey?

As I said, first season it looked a great idea but its proven a poor long term career move. If he had any sense he'd follow Borthwick back home as that second opener slot has been a constant pain in the arse for Durham and he'd slot right in. Apparently he still has a house in Low Fell.

This is a bit ominous. If they get another 50-60 runs we will have a tricky chase against their spinners.
Need a wicket here, these two look comfortable

Nowt in the pitch for seamers. Salisbury did well to get a couple of plsy and miss. Wickets are playing like late summer wickets due to dry spring.
Couple of good overs but tantalisingly missing the edge

Last edited:

Back