CC : Durham v Hampshire

Guess this is what happens when you force the CC into early April which is renowned for rain
This isn’t true, and is one of the reasons why a simple “why don’t they cover it?” solution doesn’t work. The wettest months in CLS are June, July and August. But they also have the best drying conditions so it’s less of a problem. March and April usually have relatively lower rainfall, but what there is, in a year like this year when there’s been no real warmth to the early spring, is falling on saturated ground from the winter that is just not getting an opportunity to dry. You can’t deal with this level of wetness by covering the outfield the night before.

Edit: you’re still bang on we shouldn’t be playing in the first half of April though, just not for your exact reason.

Last edited:
Cambo says Jones and De Leede would have missed out.

Coughlin getting nod over De Leede a surprise. @wayne entwhistle no9 called it a while back Borthwick would be moved to open at expense of Jones.

So surely the below then for Warks.

Lees
Borthwick
Ackermann
Bedingham
Robinson
Clark
Carse
Raine
Potts
Parkinson
Boland

Yea, I was wondering why he would have been left out. Maybe he's carrying an injury or something, who knows.
A fit Coughlin is at this point a better bowler than De Leede.

De Leede will play when Carse away on England duty, as he's a better all rounder than Coggers.

Last edited:
A fit Coughlin?
Well he's played at times over the last few years not at his best, because he's been in and out with injuries.

He's fully fit at the minute. Of course he's likely to get injured again, which is what i'm sure your getting at :lol:

Last edited:
A fit Coughlin is at this point a better bowler than De Leede.

De Leede will play when Carse away on England duty, as he's a better all rounder than Coggers.
I'm not sure about that. I did think coggers looked good against the students, I mean in terms of the fluency of his action but I had to admit that he didn't create many problems for the students. However, coggers vs De Leede is not a choice that I have strong opinions about.

Penny for Bransgrove thoughts, top where we belong :lol:

You couldn’t pay me to listen to that wanker’s thoughts.
I think they wanted to go tadpoling. (Not in the sexual sense).

Not something you want in your search history :eek:
This isn’t true, and is one of the reasons why a simple “why don’t they cover it?” solution doesn’t work. The wettest months in CLS are June, July and August. But they also have the best drying conditions so it’s less of a problem. March and April usually have relatively lower rainfall, but what there is, in a year like this year when there’s been no real warmth to the early spring, is falling on saturated ground from the winter that is just not getting an opportunity to dry. You can’t deal with this level of wetness by covering the outfield the night before.

Edit: you’re still bang on we shouldn’t be playing in the first half of April though, just not for your exact reason.

When Durham joined the First Class game in 1992 they asked for the first game to be away (and also for the last game of the season to be away), I know Tim Wellock wrote in his book that this was a trend that continued yearly throughout his time covering the Club, I can’t imagine why anything would’ve changed, but I suppose FTECB probably ignore that request purely to spite us.

Certainly seems to make far more sense for this fixture, if it’s in opening week to be hosted in Southampton.

Last edited:
When Durham joined the First Class game in 1992 they asked for the first game to be away (and also for the last game of the season to be away), I know Tim Wellock wrote in his book that this was a trend that continued yearly throughout his time covering the Club,
Mind you the TCCB rewarded them for their nerve in asking with the final game of the 1992 season being at home to Lancs at...Gateshead Fell. 🥶 🥶

Last edited:
Have to be honest I'd have Bas in ahead of Coughlin.
I would have picked Bas myself. I just don't disagree with the choice.

Trying to get in mind of Campbell and I think he went down the experience route. Seeing as Coughlin at his best has performed well in this division albeit a long time ago. Perhaps in training looked like the him of old.

Has ended up moot anyway and don't think either will play next week.

Last edited:

Back