CC :: Derbyshire v Durham

brandon

Striker
Happy New Season lads :cool: !!!

I was going to wait until the squads were announced but seeing how Durham have historically kept members in the dark I might have had to wait until 10:30 on Friday at the toss to hear who’s involved.

Not only that, but Derbyshire have done a couple of articles on their website about the game, so I might aswell start the thread off.

There’s a statistical preview which is a decent read - Statistical Preview: Durham - and an information article for those traveling to the game.

Perhaps most importantly for most of us is that the game will be streamed on their website on this link - Watch LIVE | Derbyshire County Cricket Club | derbyshireccc.com

Team wise, Woody is apparently unavailable through injury :rolleyes:, whilst Bancroft is still in Australia of course. I could give the squad my best shot of a prediction but I have no idea what it’ll end up being - either way I expect some long serving lads to miss out.

Ha’way Durham :confused:

Yes!! Happy New Season everyone!! :lol:

Well Steel must return otherwise that would have been some concussion. Otherwise it will be interesting to see who gets the nod ….

I know it's a fools game but here's my stab at the probable team ….

1. Lees
2. Steel
3. Harte
4. Burnham
5. Smith
6. Clark
7. Richardson
8. Raine
9. Coughlin J
10. Salisbury
11. Rushy

I was at the Meet the Players forum on Monday. We were told that Steel will not be available for the Derbyshire game. Although he has completed the concussion protocols, he has missed 10 days of training and so they felt it was better to wait. Wood's availability is decided by the ECB who have made him available for Sussex but not Derbyshire. I guess that does mean a better chance for Durham members to see him in action for Durham.

I was at the Meet the Players forum on Monday. We were told that Steel will not be available for the Derbyshire game. Although he has completed the concussion protocols, he has missed 10 days of training and so they felt it was better to wait. Wood's availability is decided by the ECB who have made him available for Sussex but not Derbyshire. I guess that does mean a better chance for Durham members to see him in action for Durham.
That's a blow, steel being out.

So I suppose Harte moves up to open and is Poynter available? If so he comes in for me.

Squad vs Derbyshire (5-8 April)
Alex Lees (c), Gareth Harte, Will Smith, Michael Richardson, Jack Burnham, Stuart Poynter, Ned Eckersley, Ben Raine, James Weighell, Liam Trevaskis, Josh Coughlin, Matt Salisbury, Chris Rushworth

Anything else to report from the forum?

Anything else to report from the forum?
There were contributions from Marcus North, James Franklin, Neil Killeen and Rushworth, Steel, Lees, Raine and Wood. All very optimistic for the season. The pre-season tour to Potchesfroom went well. Perhaps the most interesting thing from my point of view is that last season was felt by all to be too bowler friendly. Hence this season there will be a different ball with a less prominent seam and the return of the heavy roller to even things up.

North was asked about making Bancroft captain. He said he had spoken to a number of people in Australia who know Bancroft who say he has matured since the incident and will be a good fit. Lees was asked if he had been asked. He said there was a conversation but he wanted to concentrate fully on his batting and getting back to full form. Steel said he is targeting 800 runs for 2019. Franklin was asked about promotion. He said it was the aim but there were at least 6 teams that would feel they had a realistic chance of going up. A number of speakers stressed that Durham have a relatively young squad which may need time to develop fully.

Wood was the most articulate of the players, i wonder if they get media training from England. He said he wishes now that he had altered his run up earlier. His new run up puts less stress on his ankle.

Alex Lees (c), Gareth Harte, Will Smith, Michael Richardson, Jack Burnham, Stuart Poynter, Ned Eckersley, Ben Raine, James Weighell, Liam Trevaskis, Josh Coughlin, Matt Salisbury, Chris Rushworth
No Carse or Potts then. Trevaskis and Coughlin to miss out for me. Expect a green seamer, pack the batting.

No Potts or Carse

bowling well short there

No Potts or Carse

bowling well short there
I'd imagine Raine, Salisbury and Rushworth would be the automatic picks with one more slot for another - I picked Coughlin ahead of Weighell but thinking about it Weighell is the better bowler and on second thoughts I should have plumped for him. - that's a good bowling line up I reckon. And on top Smith and Harte can chip in with a few overs.

I'd imagine Raine, Salisbury and Rushworth would be the automatic picks with one more slot for another - I picked Coughlin ahead of Weighell but thinking about it Weighell is the better bowler and on second thoughts I should have plumped for him. - that's a good bowling line up I reckon. And on top Smith and Harte can chip in with a few overs.
Yeh, we've got to trust the coaches who have been working with them. Presumably they believe that Weighell and Coughlin are ahead of Carse and Potts.

Clark, Potts and Carse the big omissions.

Not sure we can read too much into anything at this point, but after being ever present for a while now does Clark have a battle over his job under Franklin?

Potts and Carse are both coming back from a long break through injuries so maybe they need some gentle easing in.

Clark, Potts and Carse the big omissions.

Not sure we can read too much into anything at this point, but after being ever present for a while now does Clark have a battle over his job under Franklin?

Potts and Carse are both coming back from a long break through injuries so maybe they need some gentle easing in.
Not sure there is much between Clark Richardson harte and smith

Just noted on the Durham website that Steel, Potts and Carse are picked to play in a Durham team vs Sir Ian Botham's XI at Raby Castle on Saturday. It's a 100 ball match played as part of the World Cup trophy tour.

Back