Cattermole hangs up his shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefully he'll be brought into the fold by the new owners (????)
He'll be a very good MF coach and probably the new Bobby Saxton. Would make an iconic manager as well over time, he lives and breathes SAFC so he's always going to be a future candidate. If we are still paying him then certainly look at getting him back on coaching duties.

Played Premier League football at Sunderland for 7 years. Not many we can say that about. Its a shame he had so many injuries, you could argue he never reached his full potential. I remember when Henderson left, Catts was also getting linked with Liverpool, and justifiably so.

Played some class football under Poyet and proved a lot of doubters wrong that thought he was all grit and no technique. Was also instrumental in staying up under Advocaat as a pure destroyer and Allardyce as a pressing midfielder.

As a younger fan (24) that doesn't really remember the good times with Reid/Quinn/Phillips, I can firmly say he's been my favourite player in my time supporting the lads.

Had some incredible games for us. Some of the Man City 1-0 games spring to mind where he left it all on the pitch.

Had some shockers mind but that's football. I wish him well.

One of the best performances I've seen from a Sunderland player live, he was immense that day.

People mistake someone shouting and fouling people as commitment. I’d rather just have good players. When we signed him and we were half decent I always felt he dragged our quality level down in midfield. Literally couldn’t receive a ball with another player within 15ft of him as his arse would fall out and he’d give it away. As we went down through the leagues I always thought well at least he’ll find his level. I was still f***ing waiting in league 1. And we’re still paying his wages. Lovely stuff.

I liked Cattermole, gave everything when fit...but lets face it he was part of the problem, when we had to go and attack teams or keep the ball he was often found wanting.
And to say how unfortunate he was to play for England...blinkered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back