Car sunroofs

What's the point?
Car shopping at the moment and found one I liked but it had a panoramic sunroof and it put me off.
Admittedly my experience of them is on basic hatchbacks over twenty years ago, but if a car has air con, I'm not sold on their usefulness.
Happy for the SMB to educate me.

What's the point?
Car shopping at the moment and found one I liked but it had a panoramic sunroof and it put me off.
Admittedly my experience of them is on basic hatchbacks over twenty years ago, but if a car has air con, I'm not sold on their usefulness.
What sort of car mate? not many motors seem to have sun roofs nowadays.

I’ve got a panoramic sunroof think it’s class personally, I’m tall so it gives a sense of space in a small car and when it’s red hot for 2 days a year you pop open the sunroof and the heat escapes much quicker than if you open windows while you wait for the air con to kick in. I do quite a bit of A to B driving at work throughout the day, nowt worse than sweating in your shirt from being in the car on a hot day

My honda CRV has a panoramic glass one . I only slide the shades back on it in winter to lighten the cab , no point in summer you want shade .
That being said if it was a proper opening one I would use it .
Nowt better than shooting down to the south of France with the air flying through

They add a massive cost to a new car for marginal return (Spike above has found a niche job related use, I just open all the windows to do 90% the same). They are marketed as a lifestyle thing, kids watching the sky/trees etc. as you swoop along a perfect country road, or looking at the stars at night. Maybe they make the inside hotter when sunny & shut & you are using a/c or maybe they leak when old? Do they make the car heavier?

You don't need/want one but if the used(?) car costs no more, and there is no downside, then still consider it.

Get a convertible if you want real open air driving.

Last edited:
What's the point?
If you start supporting a European team & they win the league, you can stand out the top of it waving your flag & sounding your air horn while your mate drives.

What's the point?

Tell them you’re not keen and on the basis it’s a negative, can they knock a bit more off the sales price.

I’ve got a panoramic sunroof think it’s class personally, I’m tall so it gives a sense of space in a small car and when it’s red hot for 2 days a year you pop open the sunroof and the heat escapes much quicker than if you open windows while you wait for the air con to kick in. I do quite a bit of A to B driving at work throughout the day, nowt worse than sweating in your shirt from being in the car on a hot day
I think this sums it up. Allows loads of light in the car. Class bits of kit.

I remember having to retro fit sunroofs in cars in the 90’s. Taking a grinder to a car roof was always a scary prospect!

What's the point?

My Merc had a panoramic roof.

The kids loved it and it was great in summer.

Some estate versions have enormous panoramic roofs
Quite like mine.Open it up mainly to hear the downshifts :cool:

What car is it?

This time we got a sunroof spec’d when we ordered it. Not opened it as yet but like the nice light interior when the blind is drawn

I don’t think I’ve ever once had the wireless on.

I've had couple of nice sounding cars and both have had the stereo upgrade (M5 had some fancy amp and speaker job whereas Golf R has Dynaudio).

I'd recommend toasting the b*stard with the music turned up.

I'm especially fond of acid techno at full blast on dark wet roads as it feels distinctly video game-like (with potential for real loss of a life)

Last edited:

Back