Car insurance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull_Mackem

Striker
Does anyone know if it matters if the policy holder is also the owner/registered keeper?

Does it make it more expensive if you aren't? I'm giving my old car to my girlfriend as I have a new one. Makes sense to insure her on it as main policy holder to continue her no claims, don't know whether to change the keeper to her too, or if no point as it may slightly devalue the car.

Does anyone know if it matters if the policy holder is also the owner/registered keeper?

Does it make it more expensive if you aren't? I'm giving my old car to my girlfriend as I have a new one. Makes sense to insure her on it as main policy holder to continue her no claims, don't know whether to change the keeper to her too, or if no point as it may slightly devalue the car.
Yes.

There’s declarations throughout that you agree to e.g. are you the registered keeper and owner of the vehicle, is the vehicle registered at your address, will the vehicle mainly be kept at the registered address etc etc.

There’s declarations throughout that you agree to e.g. are you the registered keeper and owner of the vehicle, is the vehicle registered at your address, will the vehicle mainly be kept at the registered address etc etc.
Yeah, you can answer no to being the keeper. Just not sure if that makes a difference to the cost.

They'll ask the relationship between the owner and the policyholder and some insurers won't insure unless you're family. Had it when I had a loan of a mate's car, the insurance was cheaper when the car was in my name.

It usually will cost more because it isn’t the norm, and insurance companies love any reason to get extra cash out of your sky rocket.

Another little known thing is people who are driving another car on their own fully comp policy, most policies will state if it is your partner/spouse/household members car then you won’t be covered.

It all comes down to insurable interest. You can't insure your mates car or your parents but if you and your partner reside at the same address the log book can be in either name and most insurer will ask the question. Is the car to be insured registered in your or your partners name.

No the registered keeper doesnt have to be the policyholder. It doesnt seem to make too m,uch difference to price by doing that. Most lease cars will have a different RK to the policyholder. Lease company will retain V5 etc

There will be a more noticeable reduction in value when she inevitably prangs it. The insurance/ ownership situation is measured in a far less magnitude of cost.

It all comes down to insurable interest. You can't insure your mates car or your parents but if you and your partner reside at the same address the log book can be in either name and most insurer will ask the question. Is the car to be insured registered in your or your partners name.
It's currently in my name. Will play around with some quotes as some have suggested

You said you’re giving your old car to your girlfriend so surely that includes transferring the owndership ? Having an extra owner won’t make much difference to resale and besides that will be her problem surely if it’s her car ?

No the registered keeper doesnt have to be the policyholder. It doesnt seem to make too m,uch difference to price by doing that. Most lease cars will have a different RK to the policyholder. Lease company will retain V5 etc

Completely different to the car being owned privately. Whilst the policyholder doesn't have to be the registered keeper it does make a considerable difference especially if not a family member.

Completely different to the car being owned privately. Whilst the policyholder doesn't have to be the registered keeper it does make a considerable difference especially if not a family member.
Yeah but the principle is the same.

So what difference does it make then that is so considerable?

Have you read the link yourself? It is primarily regarding just driving someones car

The OP is on about insuring a car in their own name when not the RK, which is perfectly acceptable, as long as it is declared to the insurer.

I suggest you read the link as that's exactly what it's on about :lol:

I suggest you read the link as that's exactly what it's on about :lol:
Can you insure a car you do not own?
Yes - but you will have to tell the insurer you are not the owner or registered keeper when you apply.

Some insurers will only offer you cover as the main driver if you are also the registered keeper of the car. However many will insure you, so shop around and check the policy documents before you apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back