Car Help! Timing Belt Replacement

FAO Car experts (@yamar1 @Goat Eyes )

I have a 2011 Mazda 5 which needs a Timing Belt Replacement.

How much should I expect to have surgically removed from my bank account?!!

Thanks
No ball park price really,cost of bits £100-200,then labour which can be 3 hours on some cars double on others at £30-45 an hour ?? if it drives the water pump they'll replace that too.£100.

Soz for hijacking your thread but I recently bought a 5 year old Golf with 83k on. Never had the belt done. Probably needs it now doesn't it?

Thanks
its not cheap a few hundred at least and as said do the water pump while its off if it runs off the belt. top tip as you know never ignore a timing belt interval as its there for a reason.

what engine is it, il check autodata, maybee its a chain.

Soz for hijacking your thread but I recently bought a 5 year old Golf with 83k on. Never had the belt done. Probably needs it now doesn't it?
depends. some run 100k not sure about the golf mind without looking. 83k personaly if it was my car id change it tommorow.

Last edited:
its not cheap a few hundred at least and as said do the water pump while its off if it runs off the belt. top tip as you know never ignore a timing belt interval as its there for a reason.

depends. some run 100k not sure about the golf mind without looking. 83k personaly if it was my car id change it tommorow.

This, once the twat snaps and you need a full valve job, skim and head gasket and still need the timing belt kit you will be pissed off. Spend some now rather than stacks later marra.

I just waited for mine to snap. Should have been changed at 75K, snapped at 90K.

Cost £730 for new valves, head skim, timing belt and water pump etc.

Engine is like new now like :)

Ouch, only time I managed to have a belt let go it put a hole in #2 piston crown too. Junked the engine, ever since I change the belt, tensioners and water pump as soon as I buy a 2nd hand car now, just no point risking it unless it's worth under a grand imo.

Last edited:
This, once the twat snaps and you need a full valve job, skim and head gasket and still need the timing belt kit you will be pissed off. Spend some now rather than stacks later marra.

Ouch, only time I managed to have a belt let go it put a hole in #2 piston crown too. Junked the engine, ever since I change the belt, tensioners and water pump as soon as I buy a 2nd hand car now, just no point risking it unless it's worth under a grand imo.

seen holed pistons and snapped cams on the ford 1.8 diesel engine after belt faliure. as you say, change it, then forget about it.

Thanks. It's a 2011 1.6 diesel

Thanks
the mazda shares the 1.6d (1560cc) ford psa engine fitted in peugeots, fords and a few other makes. belt says 125k or 10 years for the focus (same engine), however my version of autodata doesn't list the mazda 5 in the mazda list. how many miles are you on?

Go on eBay to see how much the belt / chain will cost. Add 3 hrs labour.
My corsa was done for £140.

Back